PDA

View Full Version : Windows IE problem

Bob Rufener
07-11-2013, 12:08 AM
I use Firefox and IE. This evening, my IE stopped working properly. I can open it up from my desktop but can't do anything with it. My mouse can not control anything. I can't use my favorites and can only type in a new URL. If I go to a different website, the same thing occurs-I can't do anything. A window pops up saying the web site is not responding and when I click on repair the problem, it opens up the same site but I still can't do anything with it. I have run a virus scan with nothing being detected. My Firefox program works fine and I had to use it to write this thread. I tried reo-downloading IE from Microsoft but it had no effect. Any thoughts on a solution? Thanks for any help and please don't tell me to just use Firefox. I want to use IE as I have all my favorites llisted there.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Bob,

What version of IE are you using?

My IE10 is working just fine.....for now.....

Lee Schierer
07-11-2013, 1:52 AM
A good reason why you should only use Firefox....but to fix your problem reinstall the current version of IE or restore your computer to an earlier date when IE worked, then do a scan for malware.

Stephen Cherry
07-11-2013, 4:34 AM
A good reason why you should only use Firefox....but to fix your problem reinstall the current version of IE or restore your computer to an earlier date when IE worked, then do a scan for malware.

I'd run the windows offline defender

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

Chuck Wintle
07-11-2013, 5:22 AM
or use malwarebytes.

Curt Harms
07-11-2013, 6:53 AM
I want to use IE as I have all my favorites llisted there.

I haven't used I.E. for quite some time but I'm pretty sure you can export your favorites and import them into Firefox. It's not a bad idea to keep a copy of favorites/bookmarks as a file on a flash drive or as an email attachment anyway. Or you could import into Firefox and set up a Sync account in Firefox. Then if you need to reinstall Firefox you enter some account I.D. stuff and Firefox is restored to the same condition as your old install. Very handy for serial installers like me.:p

Rich Engelhardt
07-11-2013, 7:00 AM
The first thing you need to determine is exactly what's affecting the IE.
Since Firefox appears to be unaffected, then the problem is probably within the IE and not to any calls made to the system.
("Under the hood"/"under the skins" - FF and IE both share a lot of system calls to the same files. It's a throwback to their origins when they were both based on Mosaic)

Try opening IE with no add-ons.

Are you running Win 7?
If so, then click on the "flying window" in the lower left, and where it says "search programs and files" - copy and paste this - iexplore -extoff - and hit enter.
That will start IE with no add-ons and it will display a message telling you so.

If your mouse moves and is functional w/out the add-ons, then we'll try to determine which one is at fault.

Matt Marsh
07-11-2013, 9:43 AM
Since Firefox appears to be unaffected, then the problem is probably within the IE and not to any calls made to the system.
("Under the hood"/"under the skins" - FF and IE both share a lot of system calls to the same files. It's a throwback to their origins when they were both based on Mosaic)

Are you running Win 7?
If so, then click on the "flying window" in the lower left, and where it says "search programs and files" - copy and paste this - iexplore -extoff - and hit enter.
That will start IE with no add-ons and it will display a message telling you so.

If your mouse moves and is functional w/out the add-ons, then we'll try to determine which one is at fault. Awesome advice Rich!

Bob Rufener
07-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Rich,

Thanks for the information. I do run Windows 7. I did as you suggested under search programs and files and it did open up IE. My mouse worked fine without the add ons. Now what? I am assuming some add on is causing the problem. Is there a way of finding the add ons and determining a problem add on?

Again, thanks very much for your help.

Bob

Are you running Win 7?

If your mouse moves and is functional w/out the add-ons, then we'll try to determine which one is at fault.

Rich Engelhardt
07-11-2013, 2:56 PM
Bob,
It's going to be a matter of trial and error.
When IE opens, from that - iexplore -extoff - - command line, it will display the message to manage add-ons.
Go ahead and click -ok.

Then, one by one, disable the add-ons.
Just highlight the add-on and click disable.

Then restart IE normally and see what effect - if any - disabling that add-on had.

Make sure you keep track of the ones you disable since you'll want to go back and enable them once you find the offending one.

It's a long tedious process - but - the good news is that since IE functioned w/out the add-ons, you narrowed down the problem real quick.
Now it's just a matter of tracking down the one that's the problem.

Bob Rufener
07-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Rich,

I followed your directions and seem to have found the culprit. I wasn't able to disable it from the page but went to my add/delete programs and found it there. I deleted it and IE seems to be working ok.

I VERY much appreciate your help. This is one of the things that make this such a fantastic web site. Whenever I run into problems, it seems there are always a number of people with the knowledge and the desire to help others.

Rich Engelhardt
07-13-2013, 8:24 PM
Bob,
You're more than welcome.
Glad I could help out.

Don Jarvie
07-13-2013, 9:12 PM
Switch to google Chrome.