PDA

View Full Version : Motors

John T Barker
07-10-2013, 11:15 PM
I've got a jointer that's at least a half century old and the motor is crapping out on me. When I hit the switch I have to pull the pulleys and it gets going a bit but takes a half a minute or so to get up to full rpm. Is that the capacitor? I don't know motors as well as I should.

Where does one get a passable motor these days at reasonable cost. Used on craigs list? Anyone?

Jim Andrew
07-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Check your local HVAC company. They save motors from equipment they salvage.

Mike Cutler
07-11-2013, 12:06 AM
If the motor is capable of rotating,and eventually getting the machine up to speed, under load, I would take it to a motor repair shop. Depending on age, and size of the motor, you may not be able to buy one as well built as the one you have.
Motors are very simple devices, and too many folks throw away good motors before they find out what is wrong with them. New caps,bearings, brushes, clean all contacts, blow it out with N2, recoat the windings if necessary and you could well be set for another 1/2 century of use.

HANK METZ
07-11-2013, 12:55 AM
I routinely refurbish motors for the power tools I acquire, a 50 year motor is by no means beyond economical repair. In most instances a new capacitor is all that is needed to restore proper operation. Following this, if the motor has a start relay a simple wipe with 400 grit emery cloth across the contacts will also be beneficial.

- Beachside Hank
Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Stephen Cherry
07-11-2013, 4:25 AM
One note on 50 year old machines, I would take a look at the wiring in general. The insulation on the wiring on my older Delta shapers was crumbling.

John T Barker
07-11-2013, 9:47 PM
Thanks guys. I will look in to a repair shop but the fear is I have to lift this sucker. It is big and heavy...lol.

Jim Neeley
07-11-2013, 10:25 PM
You might want to rotate the motor by hand to see how much drag the motor / cutters have under no load. You may find you've got a lot of drag in the cutter bearings or some other area that replacing the motor won't really "fix".

If the grease in the old bearings is old and gunky, it may need to warm up (from spinning) to loosen up. If so, a bearing replacement may suffice. ???

Mike Cutler
07-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Thanks guys. I will look in to a repair shop but the fear is I have to lift this sucker. It is big and heavy...lol.

A great percentage of the weight is in the copper windings for the rotor and stator. This is a key attribute that makes your motor worth repairing if it can be.
Even dead as a door nail it's worth a fair amount in salvaged copper.;)

John Downey
07-12-2013, 9:11 AM
My table saw had an old repulsion induction motor that did the same thing. Those had no capacitors, so it's worth a look for the cap covers on the outside of the motor before you haul it down to the repair shop. If your 50 year estimate is accurate, it should have capacitors, but you're getting close to old enough to have an older style motor.

On mine the motor's commutator was worn way down, and not having time to look into repairs, I just replaced it with a new motor.