PDA

View Full Version : How upset should I be about this damage?

Wade Lippman
07-10-2013, 4:06 PM
My Grizzly 1531 edge sander came today. The box was smashed up pretty badly, but the insides look okay. Won't really know until Saturday when my son can help me move it.

I have removed all the loose pieces and cleaned them up.

The front work support is a mess, but I don't know whether it is anything to complain about.

1) Part of it was never painted. It has some black stuff on it; not exactly rust, but some sort of oxide. But it's on the bottom and will never be seen, so does it matter?
2) Paint has been chipped off on the sides. Nothing function about it; so does it matter?
3) The front is flat, but the back has a 1/64th dip in the middle. If my math is right, that is a maximum error of 0.3 degrees. On a saw that would be terrible, but I am not sure it really matters on a sander.

So, do I demand a new piece? I have been in customer service and hate to be a crank, but this is not a well made piece.

(of course it may be all academic if the rest of the machine is also bad)

Val Kosmider
07-10-2013, 4:16 PM
For the $$$ I think you have a right to be happy...whether that means 'tolerance' happy or 'esthetically' happy does not matter. I don't believe Grizzly would want you to own something which always reminded you of 'bad' when for a simple shipment of a replacement deck you could be 'happy'. Of course, this all presumes that the rest of the machine is in first class condition.

Brian Kent
07-10-2013, 4:24 PM
The unpainted part underneath would not bother me. The chips would bug me now but not later when everything is covered in sawdust. The casting problem is at least worth contacting customer service about. I agree that it would be good to inspect the rest before deciding what to do about it.

David Kumm
07-10-2013, 5:25 PM
I would check the platen. If flat and with no twist I'd be less inclined to swap machines as you could get a pretty one that you can't square up to the table along it's length. Dave

Wade Lippman
07-10-2013, 7:36 PM
Good news is that my wife and I were able to get it out of the packaging.
Bad news is that the switch and the switch housing are smashed. Can't check the motor as I have no switch.
Off to Grizzly I go.

Larry Frank
07-10-2013, 7:52 PM
I guess that I would think twice about accepting a smashed box with equipment in it. Given that you paid $600-700 for it, I would refuse delivery. With a sander, the alignment of the rolls and such are critical and if they are out a little, it can be a constant nightmare.

I do not think that you would be a crank to send it back and get a new one and hope that the delivery is better.

It has to be frustrating when you finally order something that you want, pay the bucks and then it arrives damaged.

Mel Fulks
07-10-2013, 9:33 PM
How many cases like this have we seen in the last year ? When no one mentions broken crate I think the box smasher must be on vacation.

John TenEyck
07-10-2013, 9:39 PM
How many cases like this have we seen in the last year ? When no one mentions broken crate I think the box smasher must be on vacation.

+1 And why do most of these cases involve Grizzly tools? Maybe it's because more people purchase Grizzly tools than any of the other brands, and that their delivery defect percentage is no higher, or maybe not.

John

glenn bradley
07-10-2013, 10:59 PM
First, I agree that you should be happy. Second, if they replace damaged parts that you signed for as "OK", all the more kudos to Grizzly. Third, I would ask about the unpainted area. It may be normal but, I wouldn't think so.

+1 And why do most of these cases involve Grizzly tools? Maybe it's because more people purchase Grizzly tools than any of the other brands, and that their delivery defect percentage is no higher, or maybe not.

John

I almost start to feel like I should play the lottery because my luck has been so good with machine shipments from Delta, Jet, SuperMax and Grizzly. I did receive one box that had obviously been speared by a forklift fork. I had the driver wait while I opened it up and the fork had only plunged into empty space. I used to think it was just because several items came FedEx Freight but, UPS and an 'also ran' were able to deliver heavy items in decent shape. Knock on wood.

Jim Andrew
07-10-2013, 11:47 PM
I've bought most everything I have in my shop delivered by truck, and have never had any damage to speak of. My cyclone was delivered by UPS and the pipe fitting on the bottom was bent, but straightened up easily. Must be the good people of the plains.

Wade Lippman
07-10-2013, 11:50 PM
First, I agree that you should be happy. Second, if they replace damaged parts that you signed for as "OK", all the more kudos to Grizzly.

I signed for a box "Crushed + ripped open. Freight stacked on box"
Does that sound "OK" to you?
Why would I be happy?

I have bought 6 large tools in the last 8 months. 4 of the cartons were damaged, and signed for as damaged; this is the first one where it mattered.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-11-2013, 12:15 AM
Wade,

I am sure Glenn means that you should contact Grizzly. You deserve to be happy.

Beyond on that, I am glad you noted the damage when you signed for the box. Contact Grizzly tomorrow if you haven't already.