PDA

View Full Version : Classic "money bag"

David Reed
07-10-2013, 12:12 PM
I haven't been too active on the Creek of late even though I have been fairly active in the shop. Here is a recent turning I wrapped up last week. A few years ago, a neighbor told me I could harvest a BLM covered with burl and told him I would make him a piece. He is actually not a neighbor, he owns land adjacent to me but doesn't live here. Finally I was able to catch him in the area and he decided he liked this form.
I very much enjoy making this form and make quite a few of them. I forgot an important rule when turning unsupported natural edge pieces. Always cut the flare to finish, both in thickness and smoothness as you go to insure it is adequately supported to limit flex and chatter. Must have been daydreaming and that didn't happen here so I could not return to re cut the top to my intended finish thickness. As a result, it is about 5/16" thick throughout but rather than an error, i made it a feature. This added wall thickness preserves more of the peaks seen on the natural edges of the BLM burl. Yea, I'll go with that until I think of something better.
There was some seriously advanced spalt going on which was so spongy, I nearly tossed the whole thing. I found some Minwax wood stabilizer I had in the paint locker for years and started pouring it in. I didn't think it could absorb so much. After a few days of soaking, I re-turned the final outer profile and I am pleased with the result. There is a fair bit of pitting due to voids in the wood, but all is on the underside. Not ideal but I consider it a save. After looking at the pics, I think I need to return to the bottom for a little tidying up of the heavily spalted (AKA rotted) areas as well as finish beneath the foot before letting it go.
Nine inches diameter and six tall, 5/16 thickness. Finish is 3 or 4 coats of dewaxed shellac, each one sanded back to help fill pores then unknown coats of WTF.

C&C please.

David

Doug Herzberg
07-10-2013, 12:53 PM
I think it's nice and pretty wood, too. Looks just like it's name.

Brian Kent
07-10-2013, 2:33 PM
Excellent, and I like the thicker rim. That is bigger than I thought it would be at first glance.

Bill Hensley
07-11-2013, 7:26 AM
I like it, the shape exposes all the burl qualities. The rim adds even more character to the piece. Nice finish also. Well done!

George Bokros
07-11-2013, 8:03 AM
Well done. It is beautiful.