PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
05-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Well, another weekend has come and gone. Been busy with "work" work since Friday so not much time to do anything else.

Went by and helped Mark lay some block Saturday morning and spend Sunday afternoon putting on some finishing touches on the hutch I've been working on.

It's another week at "work" and no real fun to speak of.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.....

Ron Taylor
05-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Saturday morning I did a few "honey-so" chores, then with a little time left, I did a quickie project, built a folding stand for my music keyboard.

Sunday afternoon, I got started on a long awaited project, Norm's Router Table. I wanted to document this project, sot had LOML bring out the camera and take a few shots.

I go all of the pieces roughed out, then cut to dimension on the TS using the Incra 5000. All of the plywood parts are cut to final dimension, stacked and labeled, then a dry fit on the carcass. Not too bad for the first afternoon.

Don Baer
05-23-2005, 11:54 AM
for my Grand Daughter. I'll post Pix when I am done.

Scott Coffelt
05-23-2005, 12:08 PM
* Finished up the powder room cabinet.
* Yard work
* Took son to see Episode III
* QT with the Wife
* All around just busy

David Fried
05-23-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm working on framing out the garage into two bedrooms for the boys so I didn't get into the shop. I finished framing out the first bedroom on Saturday, got most of the electrical roughed out, and two walls insulated.

Sunday I went to my nephew's graduation party in New Jersey. Six hours of driving for a five hour visit! A long day. Besides the traditional cash in the card, I also pulled out a tray of pens and gave him his choice. I explained to him that if he is going to wear a suit he shouldn't be pulling out a 29 cent Bic. He picked a Cigar pen in Honduran Rosewood. Nice. He seemed to be really be impressed by a handmade gift. Hope he enjoys it!

Matt Meiser
05-23-2005, 12:48 PM
We stained our deck Saturday which took most of the day and was exhausting. Got a good start on the buffet I'm building my brother--have 5 of the 6 glued up panels for the main carcase done other than running them through the drum sander. I'm hoping to have the main carcase glued up by Sunday as they'll be coming to visit next Monday. Sunday was mostly a lazy rainy day, so I didn't do much other than church, breakfast at my parents, and then ended up going back over to their house for dinner.

John Miliunas
05-23-2005, 12:58 PM
3-day weekend, spending the bulk of Friday doing yard work. Spent most of Sat. trying to recover from Friday and finishing up a couple small rather nondescript projects. Sun., my best buddy came over and we did some major replanting of some rather LARGE bushes. Wish I was at home today to recover from THAT one!:rolleyes: Hope everyone has a great week!:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
05-23-2005, 1:00 PM
NOTHING! :)

Okay, I did do something, but didn't get any project work done :)

I got a new blazer so I needed to install the receiver hitch and lights. I also refurbished a rusty hitch haul carrier on Saturday. Yesterday was spent doing some much needed cleaning in the garage.

Heres to a wonderful week!

Brad Schmid
05-23-2005, 2:26 PM
I finally finished my Kitchen/laundry new flooring and trim, and bathroom remodel project I've been working on for a months worth of evenings. Boy it feels good to be done with that, now I can finally get back to the shop and LOML is happy everything is back in full operating condition. Also spent a bunch of time in the pool with the family combatting the first 95+ degree weekend of the year.
cheers

Dale Rodabaugh
05-23-2005, 2:33 PM
Finished up a stand for my wifes girlfriend.Next project,build a stand for new 46 inch TV.But first I gotta go down to Amish country,Middlefield,OH and buy some kiln dried oak.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .Gotta corner my wife one of these days and have her take some pix and post them.:p :p :p

Peter Mc Mahon
05-23-2005, 3:07 PM
I saw Star Wars.........................Not too impressed.

Bobby Hicks
05-23-2005, 3:08 PM
Creekers,

I had a 3 day weekend also. Fri spent all day setting up the new tablesaw (Craftsman 22124). Almost done. I'll post details in another posting.

Sat. and Sun. out of town with LOML.

David Wilson
05-23-2005, 3:38 PM
Saturday finished 2 more cedar turned bird houses and then LOML decided it was time for yard work. Went to a party sat night and picked up a guitar for the first time in 5 years.
(Since I had my right thumb reatached) Man have I forgotten a bunch. Sunday cleaned and rearanged the storage shed.
Today I am stiff.

Fred Voorhees
05-23-2005, 4:10 PM
Did a good amount of yard work with the LOML as well as taking in the Saturday night NASCAR racing since the local dirt track was RO'd. Sunday afternoon was spent celebrating the college graduation of couple of freinds daughter with lots of other people. Oh yeah, put the finishing coats of Waterlox on the poker table and should hopefully have a "finished" picture of it posted tonight in another thread as well as the address of my web log site where the complete construction process is detailed in a photo essay.

Dave Richards
05-23-2005, 4:13 PM
I took Friday off and worked then and Sunday on the sailboat to get her ready for sailing. This year she's going to have a motor backup so I spent Friday building a mounting assembly for the battery box up forward and getting the motor set up. It was woodworking anyway.

Here are the only pictures I took.
http://hamiltonwoodworks.com/drichards/Weekender/motor.jpg
http://hamiltonwoodworks.com/drichards/Weekender/transom.jpg

FWIW, the motor mount is white ash with spar varnish. the taffrail running across the back of the boat is mahogany and maple laminated together.

Vaughn McMillan
05-23-2005, 5:16 PM
Did the odd assortment of honey-do stuff (mostly plumbing-related), but also spent a bit of time in the shop. Completed a small side extension for my new TS (a gloat thread about the saw will likely be forthcoming) and a simple little crosscut sled. I also got two more cutting boards cut and glued up. (I've been making and selling hardwood cutting/serving boards to friends and co-workers recently -- enough that I could justify the new TS to SWMBO.)

- Vaughn

Jim Becker
05-23-2005, 10:54 PM
Friday evening we drove down to the Washington DC area as we had signed up for a seminar about international adoption health issues for Saturday morning. After the seminar on Saturday, we took a few minutes and walked through the east wing of the National Art Museum before chugging along on the Metro to reclaim our car way out in Shady Grove. From there, we took the scenic route home up past Frederick MD (where I used to spend a lot of time on business a few years ago) and Gettysburg PA.

Sunday, after a run to the 'Depot and the local farm market for dinner fixings, I basically did manual labor preparing an area beside a narrow walkway for a drain and some additional flagstone. (The area was too narrow to use the tractor/backhoe, so it was a pick and shovel...and Extra Strength Tylenol)

No woodworking unfortunately, but I did by some material for the bench cabinet!

Bart Leetch
05-24-2005, 12:49 AM
I went ot the lumber yard & picked up some Alder for the face frame for the cabinet I'm building to go under the right extension of my Unisaw.

I wasn't feeling well & spent the rest of the week end in my recliner trying to beat some kind of upper respatory congestion & I am still fighting it tonight I can say you don't want to get this. I've had to sleep sitting up the last 2 nights & probably will need to do the same tonight.

Frank Pellow
05-24-2005, 8:39 AM
Monday was a holiday in Canada (Victoria Day) so we had a 3 day weekend. I spent a lot of it restoring our vegetable garden. All the lumber piles have been removed from the portion we are going to be able to plant this year (about 500 sq ft), compost has been distributed, and the ground has been turned over (by hand) in preparation for planting in the next few days.

We removed 5 baby racoons from our attic and installed a one way door so the mother (who we assume is still there) can get out. Critters have made several holes at the eves over the last few years and, when I re-shigle my roof this autumn, the entire perimeter is going to obtain galvinized steel drip edge.

Started a restoratrion project of an old (I would guess 80 years) garden shed at my duaghter's place. It is a small (8' x 8') shed made of cedar clapboard that looks like it has not seen paint for at least 20 years. I spent about 6 hours sanding off the flaking paint and smooting the boards underneath. I estimate that there remains about 10 hours sanding, 6 hours of window repair, 10 hours of interior fix-up and shelving, and 12 hours of painting. But, it is going to look good!

Byron Trantham
05-24-2005, 9:14 AM
Went to the dinner theater with wife and saw "Kiss Me Kate". Worked in the yard and finished the assembly of three sewing charis for clients.

Chip Olson
05-24-2005, 3:59 PM
Finished a ZCI for the table saw, and got most of the way done on another (for 45° bevels). One of the few things that irritate me about this saw (Craftsman 22114) is that the blade at its lowest elevation is still higher than the bottom of a solid insert, so I have to rout the bottom so it will sit flat in the opening to be cut. (The straight insert I just clamped in place over the existing one and did a shallow pre-cut that way).

Also did some more experimenting with finish for the kitchen cabinets. I mostly liked the look of Rockler WunderCote, but the texture wasn't quite what I was after. Now I'm trying water-base (Minwax Polycrylic) over BLO. Looks quite nice so far; I just need to get better at applying the stuff without making bubbles.

John Miliunas
05-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Finished a ZCI for the table saw, and got most of the way done on another (for 45° bevels). One of the few things that irritate me about this saw (Craftsman 22114) is that the blade at its lowest elevation is still higher than the bottom of a solid insert, so I have to rout the bottom so it will sit flat in the opening to be cut. (The straight insert I just clamped in place over the existing one and did a shallow pre-cut that way).

Chip, I think you'll find that to be true with most, if not all, tablesaws. If you're looking to make a ZCI for 45° bevel, try mounting a dado blade on the saw first and run your depth up with that in there. Most folks use a smaller diameter dado blade than their saw capacity and that works quite well.:) :cool:

Andy Haney
05-24-2005, 10:49 PM
I managed to finally get all (well most) of the siding on the new shed, and began to move 'stuff' back in from the attic and various other temporary storage places. The floor sheathing from the previous shed is cut into shelving, and I still have room for more shelves. This will be good relief space for seldom used tools and lumber, and will remove a lot of clutter from the garage/shop. I still have to build the sliding door (this weekend, I hope) and finish some trim. I'll post pics if I can figure out how to when I'm done.

Chip Olson
05-25-2005, 2:15 PM
Chip, I think you'll find that to be true with most, if not all, tablesaws. If you're looking to make a ZCI for 45° bevel, try mounting a dado blade on the saw first and run your depth up with that in there.
A lovely idea; pity my dado set only arrived yesterday and is still sitting in its pretty wooden box.

(actually, the box, while pretty, is a piece of crap. I would like to suggest to the tool manufacturers that it is counterproductive to package products aimed at <i>woodworkers</i> in wooden boxes unless they're at least reasonably well-made. If it's not that high-end an item, package it in cardboard and we'll be perfectly happy.)

Bill Lewis
05-26-2005, 6:45 AM
...to reclaim our car way out in Shady Grove.
Jim, you were just a few miles from my house. I drive home from work on Shady Grove Road almost every day.