PDA

View Full Version : Making an engraving jig

Shane Tietz
07-10-2013, 11:21 AM
I engrave duck calls for our business. Lately I have become so backed up with work that I've considered making a jig so I can engrave multiple parts. Right now I engrave one at a time on a rotary attachment. Our call shape is round and has a good curve to the design. Will I be able to engrave the same design on a flat jig as I can on the rotary, or will I have to resize it since it isn't going to be turning? I was planning on making the jig out of a mold casting material so that our parts will all fit level. Anybody have any ideas or advice on this?

Ross Moshinsky
07-10-2013, 11:34 AM
The best thing you can do is rig together a temporary fixture and see if you can get one to engrave nicely. Some have used silly puddy in the past for a one time setup. If you can get the item to engrave the way you want, then you'll have to take the ideas from your temporary jig and make it into a more permanent one. Typically the best jig on a laser is one cut on the laser. That way you know everything will line up perfectly.

Ken Smith Jr
07-10-2013, 11:46 AM
I do a lot of calls, I use bondo on wood to make multiple imprints(with acrylic calls), I don't engrave "around" calls for the same reason you can only do one at a time. You might have to reduce the graphic size a little.

Shane Tietz
07-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Ya I was gonna cut one out, but the way our parts are shaped, it won't sit level it just an outline jig, it needs to have the contour of the call. I was thinking of cutting box jig out with the laser then using putty or something inside the boxes to actually make the shape I need.

Shane Tietz
07-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Well if you do calls also, then I'm sure you know Echo Calls. Our logos don't go all the way around, but we've always used a rotary. Well, I'm having to do so many diamondwood calls lately, it just made more sense to make a jig. 77 barrels per flat, 50 secs each barrel. Plus, once we move to our new shop, I'm gonna have 2 engravers, so I can have one setup just for wood calls and do 20-30 at a time while still working on the other machine.