PDA

View Full Version : Matching cherry color

Steve Cox
05-23-2005, 11:17 AM
I am working on a cherry window bench that is 24' long. Cherry is a fairly new wood for me (at least this extensive a use of it). I was wondering how much cherry color changes over time. I know it darkens considerably but what I mean is that there is quite a bit of color variation in the lumber I have. Over time does the cherry become closer in color or do the differences become more apparent? I also understand the differences between heart and sapwood but what I'm talking about are variances in the heartwood color.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Steve,

I built a blanket chest for my LOML for christmas. At the time it was made there was some distinct color variations. In the 6 months it has been in the bedroom, I have noticed that the colors are starting to become less distinct. I don't know how it will be over the long haul, but I am happy with the darkening of it!

Steve Cox
05-24-2005, 10:11 AM
Thnaks for the reply Jeff. I would like to get more responses on this as I can't afford to screw this up!:o

Jim W. White
05-24-2005, 10:25 AM
My experience with cherry (while limited) is that the heart wood will all age to the similar deep red over time. I recently had very good luck in popping the grain on some curly peices with a product from General Finishes called Seal-o-Cell CLEAR. It popped the grain in the curly peices and slightly darken all of them nicely such that they all matched up closely. I think you could propbably get similar results with cut down (slightly thinned out) BLO.

I think the key to making really nice cherry peices though is TIME. If your not willing to wait for the heart woods to even out in coloration; then you'd have to resort to staining and that would be a shame IMHO.

Best of luck,

Jim in Idaho

Peter Mc Mahon
05-24-2005, 10:26 AM
The Cherry flooring in my kitchen is several years old and some of it sees direct daylight through a window. The area's that see the direct light are quite a bit darker than the rest of the floor but you can still see a distinct difference between the light and dark wood. So I do not believe that it will ever "smooth" out.

Chris Rosenberger
05-24-2005, 7:26 PM
I am working on a cherry window bench that is 24' long. Cherry is a fairly new wood for me (at least this extensive a use of it). I was wondering how much cherry color changes over time. I know it darkens considerably but what I mean is that there is quite a bit of color variation in the lumber I have. Over time does the cherry become closer in color or do the differences become more apparent? I also understand the differences between heart and sapwood but what I'm talking about are variances in the heartwood color.

The color of heart wood will darken alot & even out over time if it is exposed to the same amount of light. The white sap wood will darken a little & never get close to the same color as the heart wood.