PDA

View Full Version : Just saved $1,000

Tom Garry
07-10-2013, 1:55 AM
So I'm watching the last hour of the Tour De France tonight which gets me to thinking "you know, I bet I can resaw that 5' long 4/4 soft maple board in half while I watch before they get to the sprint-finish." Besides, I spent more time browsing the internet and forums on which bandsaw I should buy than it would take me to actually cut the thing by hand. Two glasses of ice tea, and some nice seedless watermelon later, and I had two nearly perfect boards instead of one! Some planing tomorrow night will have both looking pretty. Really wasn't that hard.

I proudly walk back inside and say "honey!...I just saved $1,000!"

Its the little things in life that make me smile. :)

Tom

David Barnett
07-10-2013, 3:59 AM
... I spent more time browsing the internet and forums on which bandsaw I should buy than it would take me to actually cut the thing by hand. Two glasses of ice tea, and some nice seedless watermelon later, and I had two nearly perfect boards instead of one!

I proudly walk back inside and say "honey!...I just saved $1,000!"

Its the little things in life that make me smile. :)

Inspiring story, Tom. So I made some tea, poured it into an ice-filled tumbler—no melon, darn it, but there's that plate of blue crab—so down the hall I walked to the woodshop. Turned on the music being broadcast from my living room system, sat at my bench and contemplated my tools; cabinets of planes, saws, chisels, my bandsaw, tablesaw and all the other stationary tools, and lastly, my racks of incredible lumber.

Finished the crab, turned off the lights, walked back through my machine room, my jewelry atelier, my metalsmithing and glass casting venues, past materials and tools closets, into the living room and yelled, "Honey, I just saved $100,000!." A little louder, "Honey... I just saved $100,000! ... Ten times that!" But still no answer. Because I don't have a wife.

You're right, Tom. It's the little things in life that make me smile, too. :)

Jim Matthews
07-10-2013, 6:46 AM
Wow.

Such a silver-tongue.
Yet you're single.

Imagine that.

Chris Hachet
07-10-2013, 10:02 AM
I'll have to try re sawing by hand....

Larry Fox
07-10-2013, 10:51 AM
So I'm watching the last hour of the Tour De France tonight

I have been glued to the Tour coverage and while you are making creative use of it saving $$, I have been racking my brain to figure out how I can get my hands on one of these. No luck though, maybe I need to come up with something like your resaw savings idea that I can use to offset the purchase. :)

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/mark-cavendishs-2013-specialized-mclaren-venge-updated-36168/

Tom Garry
07-10-2013, 11:49 AM
Yep. 5 bicycles in my garage total WAAAAY more than I've ever spent on woodworking. Cavendish sure put a hurt on that guy last night.

Chris Griggs
07-10-2013, 11:53 AM
I'll have to try re sawing by hand....

I don't recommend it unless you have no other way to do it...which is the only reason I do it. When I have bandsaw someday, I have no intention of ever doing it again. I love woodworking by hand but my masochism has its limits.