PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Supplier

Walt Langhans
07-10-2013, 1:54 AM
Hi all!

I've run into a situation where it's actually less expensive (shipping / fees/ etc. included) to source some material from China. But now I find myself in the same boat when I bought my laser from China. Granted that turned out really well, which is why I'm even considering this, but given the scams and what not I'm still a little hesitant.

The minimum order is $100 so not a lot of money at risk and they do seem to have a decent web site with favorable comment but all the of course all that can be faked. So I'm just wondering if anyone has been dealing with China for supplies and has any words of wisdom.

Thanks!
Walt

Rodne Gold
07-10-2013, 2:33 AM
I buy extensively from China..as do 1000's of other folk , the best is to go over and meet the suppliers..but that's not economical on small orders..take a chance for a coupla $100..you wont lose the farm and you might be pleasantly surprised.
In the years I have been buying , the quality has gone up , levels of service are amazing and of course price is great.
HOWEVER we have a set rule , that unless we can make SUBSTANTIAL savings by importing (I'm talking 2/3rds or 1/2 local prices or more) we don't...not worth the hassle and angst.
It messes with cash flow as well , as we have to pay for 1/2 a years stock or more upfront and then still have to wait the 30 days or so till the container comes...

Frank barry
07-10-2013, 5:08 AM
yes it is the way to go but as Rodney said you can tie up a lot of money as you will hold more stock than you need and indeed you might end up with stock you will never use but the prices are good service amazing and quality on most parts is very good and yes keep your order as small as you can it is best to do a few sample orders Frank

Mike Null
07-10-2013, 6:41 AM
My volume isn't sufficient to consider buying from China but my wife is a jewelry maker and buys almost weekly from Chinese suppliers on eBay. It is very rare for her to be disappointed and when she has been they've moved quickly to resolve the issue. They ship by USPS and the stuff arrives in a flash.

Walt Langhans
07-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Yeah I agree 100% Rodney. Basically for the material I want I can get it at $2.50 per foot here in the States or $1 for 1 METER from China :eek:

Thanks for the input guys!

Dave Sheldrake
07-10-2013, 1:08 PM
I love the Chinese, great customer service, and prices to die for.

I often get stuff from China quicker than I can get it from the UK midlands!! 6,000 miles compared to 80 miles!!

best wishes

Dave