PDA

View Full Version : Planer bed roller is bent.

Chuck Barnett
07-10-2013, 1:00 AM
I've a 15" planer that I'm attempting to bring into working shape. I discovered that one of the two rollers on the table (the infeed one) is bent enough to matter. This machine isn't supported and I am looking for an industrial supplier who may have them for many applications. Anybody know any one like that?

Thanks!

Chuck Barnett

alex grams
07-10-2013, 1:20 AM
make and model of the planer would probably help.

Stephen Cherry
07-10-2013, 7:29 AM
I don't use the rollers on my Jet planer. It is my opinion that they contribute to snipe.

Richard Coers
07-10-2013, 9:58 AM
That would be a pretty easy project for a machine shop to make a new one. Pull the old part and shop around. There are also web sites where you can request a quote from machine shops all over the states.

Jeff Duncan
07-10-2013, 10:18 AM
I can't answer your question, but can offer a couple thoughts....first if yours is anything like the plethora of 15" planers on the market the parts may be interchangeable with another manufacturer? Worth at least exploring. Second thought....you could take it to a machine shop and see if they can straighten the bent one for you? Lastly if your working with lumber that has already been faced, (which in my humble opinion is the better way to go anyway), you can just drop the rollers down and not use them. The main purpose of having the rollers is to help move rough stock across the table. With smooth stock just keep the table waxed and as long as everything is tuned you should be fine.

good luck,
JeffD

glenn bradley
07-10-2013, 12:24 PM
I don't use the rollers on my Jet planer. It is my opinion that they contribute to snipe.

I believe he is referring to infeed "table" rollers, no? If you mean the bed rollers, I retract mine to level so retracting below the bed would be OK with me as I use the planer for near-finish work. If you are going to use the machine for really rough work, the bed rollers come into play. I agree that taking the "good" one to a machine shop and seeing what they have to say is a good idea. I have had a local shop modify all sorts of things for me. I kind of lucked out as they have a guy who is there Saturdays primarily to handle shipping/receiving. He does the odd jobs for me during quiet time so the rates are good ;-)

Aleks Hunter
07-10-2013, 12:34 PM
Take it out , measure it very carefully and look it up on a supply catalog like mcmaster carr or grainger.

joe maday
07-10-2013, 12:54 PM
What make/model are we talking about, alot of the parts are interchangeable between the imports, even those that are not sold anymore, reliant, AMT, jepson as examples alitte research at ereplacement parts or the internet could revel part numbers that could be still in use. even the diagram of the assembly could give clues to any interchangeability.
Especially older models, they were all made in one or two plants from the same blueprint/drawings.

Jim Andrew
07-10-2013, 11:53 PM
I'd call Grizzly.

Stephen Cherry
07-11-2013, 4:21 AM
I believe he is referring to infeed "table" rollers, no? If you mean the bed rollers, I retract mine to level so retracting below the bed would be OK with me as I use the planer for near-finish work. If you are going to use the machine for really rough work, the bed rollers come into play. I agree that taking the "good" one to a machine shop and seeing what they have to say is a good idea. I have had a local shop modify all sorts of things for me. I kind of lucked out as they have a guy who is there Saturdays primarily to handle shipping/receiving. He does the odd jobs for me during quiet time so the rates are good ;-)

I use neither the aux. infeed rollers, aux. outfeed rollers or table rollers. There is an idea to set the aux infeed and aux outfeed rollers a little high to prevent snipe, but I have found this to only work when the lumber is thin and flexible enough to allow it to be bent flat to the table by the infeed roller and outfeed (the powered rollers near the cutterhead).

If you think about it, there is only one way to prevent snipe, and that is to have the lumber flat on the cast iron table. Any of the bottom rollers can cause problems.

Rod Sheridan
07-11-2013, 9:52 AM
Chuck, if you're planing material that has been jointed, adjust the bed rollers so that they are below the bed, or throw them out.

I wouldn't repair or replace a bed roller unless I was planing material that hadn't been jointed.................Regards, Rod.