PDA

View Full Version : Replacement arbor nut?

Steve Rybicki
05-23-2005, 11:09 AM
I lost the arbor nut on my craftsman table saw (don't ask how). Sears wants about $15 with shipping and I can't find one locally. I'll get ripped off by Sears if I have to, but I'd prefer to get one quicker and cheaper if possible. Anybody know if hardware stores carry a suitable replacement. I couldn't find one, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right store. Thanks,

Jeff Sudmeier
05-23-2005, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't think that there would be a whole lot of differences in the nuts that manufacturers use. I mean they are all the same shaft size, so the only difference would be in the threads used. Do you have any tool stores near you that carry table saws? If so, they may be able to hook you up.

Also, how old is your saw? If it is pretty new you could give the tool manager at your local sears a call. They may hook you up as well.

CPeter James
05-23-2005, 12:11 PM
On my previous saw I used a machined flange nut from MSC. The cost was about $2.50 plus shipping.

www.mscdirect.com

CPeter

Steve Rybicki
05-23-2005, 12:56 PM
The saw is about 20 years old. The only places carrying table saws in my area are Sears and Home Depot. When you ask those people, they don't even know what you mean when you mention a table saw arbor.

CPeter, thanks for the link. I went to the site, but I don't have enough info to order. They wanted to know, "type, thread size, Hex size, and height". Unfortunately, I don't know any of those. Sears parts dept. doesn't give any info on the nut. They just call it, Arbor nut, part #6362.

I know it's a 5/8" arbor, left tilt. If I measure the opening on the wrench, the nut would be approx 1 1/16 across (measured on the flat sides), and approx. 1 1/4" across the points of the nut. Anyone got a guess on the thread size? The nut is approx. 5/16" thick.

Bill Lewis
05-23-2005, 1:06 PM
I don't know much about craftsman saws, but you may not be looking at an SAE thread, it may have an acme thread. I'm pretty sure my Delta CS had that. Also, is it a left handed?

Try www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com)

Steve Rybicki
05-23-2005, 1:22 PM
It's a right hand thread. It looks a lot like the one in this link, but I don't know how to figure out thread count.

It looks a lot like this one http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PARTPG=NNLMK3&PMPXNO=1764757

markgoodall
05-23-2005, 1:24 PM
Delta has a quick-remove wrenchless knurled aftermarket replacement nut for the Unisaw and contractor's saw for $9.95. Not sure if it will fit your's but perhaps you can find something similar.

Steve Stube
05-23-2005, 1:47 PM
Count the number of peaks (points) in 1 inch. If that turns out to be say 10 then it is 10 tpi. (teeth per inch) Be as accurate as you canwith this measurement and if you don't have a full inch of thread to measure, then set your scale at a peak/point and count off the number in a 1/2" and double it.

You say it is right handed so the thread form is maybe the only unknown.

If you pay $15.00 for one you probably would not loose another.

Rob Littleton
05-23-2005, 2:05 PM
Send an email to customer service and ask if it possible they could price match. I would.......

Actually, if you give them the schpill about you love the saw and Sears as a store, you might even get one gratis.....

Who knows?

Tim Morton
05-23-2005, 2:06 PM
I lost the arbor nut on my craftsman table saw (don't ask how). Sears wants about $15 with shipping and I can't find one locally. I'll get ripped off by Sears if I have to, but I'd prefer to get one quicker and cheaper if possible. Anybody know if hardware stores carry a suitable replacement. I couldn't find one, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right store. Thanks,

Might be time to look at a new saw;)

Dale Rodabaugh
05-23-2005, 2:18 PM
I believe it is a 7/8 nut.I would go to Home dep.and pick up a 7/8 coarse thread nut and see if that fits.They might even have a 7/8 in.half nut.If not you can grind a regular size down to the right thickness.Just a thought.:confused: :confused: :confused:

John Hart
05-23-2005, 3:27 PM
Might be time to look at a new saw;)

Yeah Steve, some paint chipped off of mine and that's what I did!!:D

Hey Steve...What model saw is it? I'll get the nut off of mine and find a replacement for ya. In fact...I may have a spare....If I can just find it in the mountain of stuff!!!

CPeter James
05-23-2005, 3:42 PM
If the thread count is about 10 or 11 per per inch, go the the hardware store and get a 5/8-11 nut and try it. If the thread count is closer to 20 per inch then get a 5/8-20 and try that. A grade 8 nut will be machined close enough to use as an arbor nut. If the threads are rounded or squarish with a flat top reather than pointed, then it may be an Acme or custom (read Sears special like the miter groove slot) thread. Then the only source is Sears. Sometimes, it is cheaper to bite the bullet, pay the price, cry a little and go on, rather than spend three days trying to save $5.00.

CPeter

Lee Schierer
05-23-2005, 4:54 PM
The thread on my craftsman saw is a acme thread, not a standard SAE thread.

The same nut is found on their radial arm saws.

I wouldn't recommend using a regular threaded nut even though it might screw on.

Dale Rodabaugh
05-23-2005, 5:25 PM
I goofed on that 7/8 nut ,I meant a 5/8 nut.:eek: :eek: :eek:

John Hart
05-23-2005, 5:30 PM
I just finished checkin' my shop...nope...I don't have an extra one. Sorry

Bruce Page
05-23-2005, 7:45 PM
The thread on my craftsman saw is a acme thread, not a standard SAE thread.

The same nut is found on their radial arm saws.

I wouldn't recommend using a regular threaded nut even though it might screw on.

Very sound advise! My old craftsman also had an ACME thread. The two standard SAE choices are 5/8-11 UNC and 5/8-18 UNF but they are not interchangeable with the stronger ACME. The SAE 5/8-11 nut might thread on but you will only be tightning on the acme thread's root - it may come loose when you power down.:eek:
Spend the bucks and be safe.

Steve Rybicki
05-23-2005, 9:44 PM
It looks like 11 threads per inch and they appear very square in profile. Obviously, this isn't going to be as easy as I originally thought.

John, thanks for looking to see if you had one.

Tim, believe me that thought crossed my mind a time or two. I'd almost rather pay $1000 for a new saw than $15 for a nut on this very mediocre saw. Funny thing was, last Saturday I stopped by Sears and almost went for their new 22124 model, but I wasn't that impressed with the store model, so i didn't.

Of course, even if I get a new saw, I'll have to spring for the expensive nut anyway. Who's going to buy a used saw without an arbor nut? ;)