PDA

View Full Version : Ebay fees

Bob Rufener
07-09-2013, 6:18 PM
Over the years, I have bought a number of things on Ebay and never had a problem. I hadn't sold any items for a number of years and recently sold 3 items I had no use for and got a decent price for the items. I just received the ebay bill and it amounted to 10% of the total sales. I was kind of shocked at the fee. In looking around the ebay site, I couldn't find much information about fees so I am assuming this is correct. Has anyone sold anything recently on ebay and were your fees 10% of the sale price? Just curious.

Brian Elfert
07-09-2013, 7:04 PM
The fee is now a flat 10% with no listing fee up to 50 listings a month. I don't know how they keep customers with the fees going up and up year after year. I notice more new stuff and less used stuff as time goes by.

David Weaver
07-09-2013, 9:33 PM
Ditto. They've changed their model over the last few years to stack fees on the back end, and they're steep at that. It encourages people to list stuff and keep the inventory high there, but it also has the effect of keeping a lot of overpriced stuff rotating far too long.

Tim Morton
07-14-2013, 7:05 PM
i will never sell anything on ebay again. It had been a while, but i decided i had something that i felt would get the most money on ebay. So it sold, and the buyer sent paypal.

i go to transfer the paypal money into my account and it says, " money is pending delivery and buy inspection", money should be available 21 days.

i sent an email to the buyer and said sorry, thats not going to cut it since i have been an ebay member for probably 15 years with a 100% rating.

Paypal and Ebay are dead to me.

David G Baker
07-14-2013, 7:55 PM
I stopped selling on Ebay as well. I don't recall the last time I sold anything there. Basically they have priced the people that made Ebay great out of the business. In the past I had 70 auctions going at once and the fees were reasonable back then. I was selling back in the 90's when it was a real complicated transaction especially if you wanted to post photos of your items and were just starting out. It is very sad that a company has something that works so well until they get consumed by greed.

Mike Henderson
07-14-2013, 8:00 PM
The problem we all face is that eBay is about the only place where you can get such a large audience of potential buyers. If you've tried Craigslist you know the problems you can encounter there.

We need an alternative to eBay so that there's real competition, which will drive fees down.

I agree that eBay has gone to BIN sellers who just keep listing the same item over and over at the same price, hoping that someone will finally buy it. I often include the filter of "auctions only" in my searches.

Mike