PDA

View Full Version : Danish Oil Question

Wade Holloway
07-09-2013, 2:33 PM
The instructions on Watco Danish Oil says that you need to wait at least 72 hours before putting a top coat of Poly on it. First do you really have to let it cure that long and what would happen if you didn't. Am I right when I say the curing of the Danish Oil is the effects of the drying agents in the oil, if so will the heat speed things up some? Time is running short for me to get this finished, if I let the Danish Oil cure for the 72 hours I will not have time to put the coats of varnish on it so would just a good coat of wax be enough to protect the finish of a box that I made? I spent to much time to take a chance and ruin the project but on the other hand I need to leave Friday with the box to give it to the person. I do not have a spray rig so Lacquer is not really a option. Any ideas help or guidance for this project. So any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

John TenEyck
07-09-2013, 4:04 PM
First off, I never use Danish Oil. It offers no benefit that I can't get other ways. If your box is small why not just spray it with rattle can lacquer, like Deft? Or use shellac. If you want to add some color first, dye it with a water based dye, or choose a shellac that adds color. In either case, you'll be done in one day. No way you'll be done by Friday if you put Danish Oil on it. And if you had planned to use solvent based Poly you'll really be cooked. Wax? No protection, but it's fast.

John

Howard Acheson
07-09-2013, 5:57 PM
John is right. Spray it with an aerosol lacquer. But, you MUST allow the Watco to fully dry and cure before overcoating. If you overcoat too soon, the top coat many not dry properly.

If you have already applied the Watco, hopefully you wiped off the excess thoroughly or drying may be slower.

Scott Holmes
07-10-2013, 10:54 PM
What they said... Now what is this box? Watco may be all that it needs.

Wade Holloway
07-11-2013, 10:18 AM
What they said... Now what is this box? Watco may be all that it needs.

It is a replica of the 1839 School Box. I made this to be used by a friend who is a teacher. She has wanted a keep sake box to keep things in and I thought this would be appropiate. I made it out of Peruvian Walnut that I came across. I also did some String and Berry Inlay on the front side of the box.