PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson lap desk

Bill Sampson
05-12-2003, 1:08 PM
In the past two years, FWW, Wood, or another magazine published plans for the Jefferson lap desk with an article. I can't find it. Can someone proivide me with the publication and the month it was printed? Thanks much. Bill Sampson, Richmond

Mark Hulette
05-12-2003, 1:41 PM
Here you go...

Fine Woodworking - September/October 2000 - #144

Carl Eyman
05-12-2003, 1:47 PM
Mark is right! Beat me to the punch by 1 minute. Is there a second prize?

Bill Sampson
05-12-2003, 7:20 PM
Gentleman, thank you so much!! I have that issue and found it after your information was posted. Interestingly, I saw a reproduction of this piece at Bartly's in Denton, Maryland a couple weeks ago. They have been approved by the Smithsonian to build exact reproductions of this historic writing desk. Thanks again, Bill Sampson, Richmond

Ernie Kuhn
05-13-2003, 2:12 AM
Bill,
Did you happen to notice a selling price?

Bill Sampson
05-13-2003, 10:29 AM
Ernie, I looked at this piece closely as I could. It was on display and not touchable. As I recall it was under $400. I will be in Williamsburg this weekend and I understand a rep from Bartley will be there. Will find out specific price then. Bill Sampson, Richmond

Lars Thomas
05-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Just as an FYI here . . . I've done a few of the Bartley kits. I've gotta say, they turn out beautiful. Each kits is supplied with only first quality stock. Well worth the premium price.

No affilation . . .

Bill Sampson
05-13-2003, 11:41 PM
Lars, when I visited the Bartley Co. I purchased about 25bf of tiger maple and a few bf of cherry. First time I ever paid for wood by the pound, @$1.50. It equated to about $3.90 per bf. The maple has very pronounced stripes and finishes beautifully. Until this visit, I knew nothing about this company. It appears they build high quality 18th. century reproduction pieces. (no connection) Bill Sampson, Richmond