PDA

View Full Version : Buying a rental car

Bruce Page
07-09-2013, 1:47 PM
My wife has her heart set on an Infinity EX35 and has been looking for a used one for several months. One finally came up at the local Carmax dealer; a 2012 with 15k miles that looks to be in excellent condition. BUT, it was a fleet rental car and that raises flags with me. This would be our 3rd Infinity, she drives a G35 & I drive a FX35. We have always had great reliability with both of them. Is the “rental car” worth a look, or should we run from it?

Ben Hatcher
07-09-2013, 1:58 PM
I would think that the type of person who would rent this kind of vehicle aren't the kind to trash a rental just because it is a rental.

Brian Elfert
07-09-2013, 2:01 PM
Both my parents and I have purchased former rental cars with no issues. 15,000 miles is really low for a rental these days. Most of them are at 40,000 miles or higher before they dump them. You would still be under factory warranty with that mileage.

Some people shy away from rentals as they think a typical renter drives the car really hard. I doubt the average business person who flies into town and rents a car for a week will drive a car hard. Sometimes they get driven from the airport to a hotel where a conference is being held and don't get driven again until it is time to go back to the airport.

Prashun Patel
07-09-2013, 2:17 PM
Definitely worth a look. 15,000 miles is low - even if the renters were jerky with it. The important parts are unlikely to have suffered serious abuse. If the cosmetics look and smell fine, then I think the risk is relatively low.

Gordon Eyre
07-09-2013, 2:40 PM
As I read this my Infinity has 219,000 miles on it and it runs great. I say go for it, the mileage on it is nothing.

Biff Johnson
07-09-2013, 2:42 PM
Hmmm, I don't know about that. I spent many years on the road and using rental cars. I have seen things done to rental cars that would horrify you.

I would certainly get a thorough check done on it, including frame alignment. Did you ever how fast you could take railroad tracks? Did you ever want to do a bootlegger turn like in the movies? People always do in rentals the things they wondered about doing in their own car but were too afraid to.

Bruce Page
07-09-2013, 2:54 PM
Shucks Biff, here I was feeling pretty rosy about it and you go and throw a wrench into things. :)
We are going to take a look at it this afternoon.

Does Carmax deal or are their prices set in stone?

Jeff Monson
07-09-2013, 3:18 PM
Being its a high end rental car with low miles, I would not hesitate to look it over. I'd do a carfax, ask for maint. records (should only be a few oil changes at that mileage). I would not be scared to own it.

Eric DeSilva
07-09-2013, 3:35 PM
I have seen things done to rental cars that would horrify you.

There's the related question of what's been done *in* the rental car as well.

Jerome Stanek
07-09-2013, 4:33 PM
I bought a pick up truck that was marked as a fleet and it has been a great truck just traded it in this last week. Had it for 12 years.

Brian Tymchak
07-09-2013, 4:49 PM
... You would still be under factory warranty with that mileage.

I would check with Infinity on this. Having been a commercial vehicle, the warranty may not apply.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2013, 4:50 PM
Bruce,

If you have a local garage, dealer or private, that you trust, see if you can have the car inspected. It might be worth a few hundred dollars investment but I would probably buy it.

While I bought my wife a new car 10 years ago, I haven't purchased a new car for me in over 25 years.

David Weaver
07-09-2013, 4:52 PM
I'd be willing to bet it was well maintained, and that on average, vehicles like that probably get better maintenance than privately owned cars.

Brian Elfert
07-09-2013, 7:45 PM
There isn't much to do besides oil changes and change the air filter on a modern vehicle with under 40,000 miles these days. Most don't need any real service work like change transmission fluid until 60,000 miles or more.

I've never heard of warranty issues with a rental car. The rental car I bought had the remaining warranty.

Jim Matthews
07-09-2013, 7:55 PM
There's the related question of what's been done *in* the rental car as well.

I've got young kids in the back of my Minivan every day.
I'll stack up the cleanliness of a fleet vehicle against the rolling pig sty I drive - any day.

If the mechanicals are tight, the maintenance schedule up to date and the warranty transfers - you're on the right track.

Bruce Page
07-09-2013, 8:00 PM
We just got back from test driving it. According to Carfax it was a one owner lease car out of Phoenix AZ, not a rental. It's in pristine condition, no door dings, scratches etc. At 297 hp, it had pretty good zip too. They offered a good trade-in value on my wife's 2003 G35 so we bought it.:rolleyes: The factory warranty is still in effect.

Thanks for all the info!

Matt Meiser
07-09-2013, 9:07 PM
Most don't need any real service work like change transmission fluid until 60,000 miles or more.

Heck, I asked our local repair shop to change the trans fluid in our Focus at 110K while it was there for another issue. He looked at the fluid and told me if it was his car he wouldn't do it. Then while my F150 was at the dealer for a wiring seal leak on the trans at 55K and I asked them to go ahead and flush it even though its early. They had to drop the pan and he said what came out was so clean, he couldn't see bothering flushing the remaining 1/3 or so.

Stephen Cherry
07-09-2013, 9:51 PM
While on the subject of non-service, I've only ever changed the oil in my bmw when the light tells me to. About every 15,000 miles. It has 145k on it now, and runs about like it did when I got it, 10 years ago with 4k miles from carmax. It's an 8 quart oil change with synthetic and a filter about double a normal sized filter, so you are really just doing two oil changes at the same time.

One thing to remember though is that the spark plugs do not last forever. At about 100k miles they will need to be changed.

Anyway, good luck and congratulations Bruce with the new car!

Dan Hintz
07-10-2013, 7:44 AM
I would think that the type of person who would rent this kind of vehicle aren't the kind to trash a rental just because it is a rental.

I would say this is the key point here... but it sounds like you already picked it up, so it's a moot point.

jack cruso
09-06-2013, 9:26 AM
My wife has her heart set on an Infinity EX35 and has been looking for a used one for several months. One finally came up at the local Carmax dealer; a 2012 with 15k miles that looks to be in excellent condition. BUT, it was a fleet rental car and that raises flags with me. This would be our 3rd Infinity, she drives a G35 & I drive a FX35. We have always had great reliability with both of them. Is the “rental car” worth a look, or should we run from it?

Initially even i had my doubts about buying a rental car when i shopped for a vehicle last summer and found a 2007 Ford Explorer with only 5,000 miles. "I asked the Ford dealer to provide a vehicle history report,and it said it had been a rental car. I have to admit that at first I thought, 'What has this vehicle been through?' It didn't scare me off,but it did make me think twice."But since then it has been a fantastic experience.
rental cars are better and more reliable than any other used cars.They go through regular checkups and service maintenance throughout their life in our rental fleet.
And if you think buying a rented ride means settling for a run-of-the-mill Ford Focus, Chevrolet Impala or Chrysler Sebring, think again.

Stephen Cherry
09-06-2013, 11:22 AM
"Better and more reliable than any other used cars"

Ha ha- that is very funny, I can't tell you how many rental cars I have flogged. Sounds like a sales pitch to me. I didn't click on the link though, don't want to pick up a virus or worm or something.

Shawn Pixley
09-06-2013, 10:36 PM
I bought my car (1 year old, 30K Mi.) from the dealer. It was a fleet vehicle from BMW USA (distributor, not the dealer). It has been flawless. I think there is a lot of difference between the various "rental" options. I was fairly sure my vehicle was well maintained (I couldn't imagine that BMW wouldn't maintain their own vehicles) even before I saw the Carfax. If the vehicle was from a low-budget car rental place, I would look for greater surety.