PDA

View Full Version : Ten Percent Stand for the Jet 1221VS

Dan Case LR
07-09-2013, 12:03 PM
I call this my "Ten Percent Stand" because it cost me about $36--ten percent of what Jet's stand sells for--and it's better.

The stand is made from big-box 2x4's, planed down to 1 1/4 x 3 1/4. The top is 48" x 18", made from two layers of 3/4" MDF (From a piece that's been in my way and I really needed to get rid of anyway). The lower shelf is 3/4" MDF and has additional structure to support ballast if needed. The middle shelf is 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood in a 1/2" rabbet, providing a slight lip to keep things from rolling off. I would like to put a hardwood band around the top, but I didn't have anything long enough that wasn't too nice for the need. The raw MDF edge will work just fine for now.

Unlike Jet's stand, this one has room for the grinder and Wolverine jig, convenient but not in-the-way.

This stand is very "utilitarian." I'd prefer drawers (my preferred method of hiding stuff to make things look neater and more organized), and once I get some experience turning and develop a better idea of what I need (and don't need) in a turner's workspace, I may build something prettier and more attuned to my needs. If that day comes, I can set this $36 wonder at the curb without a single twinge of guilt. Or, maybe I'll have so much fun using it that I won't notice its shortcomings (or won't want to stop turning long enough to fix them). Either way, I think it's a winner!'

D.

Paul Williams
07-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Good looking stand. I think you would find that many creekers are turning on similar homebuilt stands. Mine is about 4 years old and still holding my delta midi just fine.

Roger Chandler
07-09-2013, 1:04 PM
Nice work..........this should serve you well! You will likely find that you want your grinder on a separate surface at some point in time......just a heads up!

Dan Masshardt
07-09-2013, 1:18 PM
Cool. I was just thinking about stand designs.

What I'm wondering for myself is, do I make a Stand long enough for bed extension, should I want to get it in the future?

terry mccammon
07-09-2013, 1:28 PM
Very nice.

Let me suggest a permanent magnet near the grinding wheel to collect steel grindings, otherwise they will migrate to your lathe.

What I'm wondering for myself is, do I make a Stand long enough for bed extension, should I want to get it in the future?

Scott Lux
07-09-2013, 1:50 PM
or won't want to stop turning long enough to fix them

That seems the most likely to me. Nice stand. I'm with Roger on the location of the grinder, but it may well work for you.

Thom Sturgill
07-09-2013, 5:41 PM

I'd say cross that bridge when you get to it. design the stand so that you can easily connect an extension. With the small lathes, it is not uncommon to stand at the end to make certain cuts on the insides of bowls and for hollowing.

Dan, that stand should server for years. Looks a lot like my first one, which by the way I added an extension to, when I moved to a new shop and decided to hook up the extension. I do most turning on my larger lathe with a sliding headstock now, so I was no longer concerned about standing at the end.