PDA

View Full Version : Quick Bandsaw Blade question

Bruce Volden
07-09-2013, 9:14 AM
I have been asked to saw up a BUNCH of various antlers (moose, elk, deer...). The guy wants to make salt/pepper shakers, napkin holders, toothpick holders etc.

What say you guys for the preferred BS blade. I'm running a 20 year old Delta 14".

Bruce

Erik Loza
07-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Never cut bone or ivory before but my gut response would be a 1/2 blade with very fine teeth, perhaps a Lenox Diemaster...

Just my thoughts. Please report back on how it goes.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Charlie Jones
07-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Any woodworking blade works just fine. Be sure to keep the stock from turning or you will have a ruined blade or worse. Don't ask me how I know that!

Jeff Monson
07-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Not to mention a clothespin for your nose!! Man I hate the smell of cutting antlers. I have cut a few with a normal 1/2" blade with no issues, if you have a ton to do, I'd go with Erik's suggestion.

Gus Dundon
07-09-2013, 3:51 PM
A good quality band saw blade can do the job for you. Even a metal cutting band saw will work. I used haltbar blades for rough work. You can check Highland WW blades.

Bruce Volden
07-09-2013, 8:39 PM
Thank you fellers! I was a little hesitant to plow through them and advice here is free and accurate.

Jeff, I am fully aware of the stench of antlers from lasering many pens turned from it--I'm sure it stinks when it's turned too.
Thanks again!!

Bruce

Erik Loza
07-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Off-topic but this reminded me that I can still remember the smell of the oral surgeon drilling and grinding on my wisdom teeth in order to remove them. Was only under local anesthetic, so was awake for the whole thing. Terrible, acrid smell. Seems as clear as yesterday even though it was over twenty years ago.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA