PDA

View Full Version : New from the "What were they thinking" Department

Dan Case LR
07-08-2013, 11:15 PM
While setting up my new Jet JWL-1221vs lathe this evening, I spotted a fine bit of engineering prowess that's too goo to not share:

This would be funny if it weren't so doggone stupid. In all the design and development of this model, did nobody notice that even short things in the tool holder prevent opening the belt door. More proof why those who design things ought to be forced to use what they design for a while before they call the design "finished."

D.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Use the tool caddy at the other end of the lathe and it won't interfere with opening and closing the door.

Someone in marketing probably thought it was a neat idea to have two tool caddies., one at each end of the lathe.
Marketing and the bean counting side of companies often have more say than engineers as to what goes into the final product.

Dan Case LR
07-09-2013, 1:01 AM
Funny though--the tool caddy over the door was installed at the factory and the one on the other end came in a plastic bag. Even without the door thing, they're semi-useless. I just think it's hilarious that they ended up with one that's unusable without blocking belt access.

D.

Dan Hintz
07-09-2013, 7:18 AM
With a piece of sheet metal and some re-jiggering, I'd connect the caddy to the door instead of the bed... opening the door carries the caddy along with it.

Stephen Cherry
07-09-2013, 7:53 AM
Nice little lathe. I agree with Dan the the caddy should swing, but how often do you need to access the belt, given the VS?

Peter Quinn
07-09-2013, 10:10 AM
I'd connect both tool caddies to a board hung on the wall not connected to the machine but very close to it. Real silly that they let it go out the door that way, but sometimes designs don't get thought all the way through, or those looking at parts of 2d plans don't see the whole picture. I'm chuckling.

Prashun Patel
07-09-2013, 10:49 AM
I'd connect your caddy to the table - not the lathe. That way you won't be height limited on your tools.

Dan Case LR
07-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Update: If you use the one on the tailstock end of the lathe, you have to remove everything before you can remove the tailstock or banjo. Two more points for the design team. :)

D.

Pat Barry
07-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Thats dum allright

glenn bradley
07-09-2013, 1:25 PM
Update: If you use the one on the tailstock end of the lathe, you have to remove everything before you can remove the tailstock or banjo. Two more points for the design team. :)

D.

:D:D:D That's classic. Whenever I see something like that I can hear, somewhere down in the bowels of the company, an engineer crying Noooooooooo!

Ole Anderson
07-09-2013, 4:07 PM
Well, at least that is better than "What was I thinking..."

george wilson
07-09-2013, 5:22 PM
Reminds me of the Craftsman tool chest I have,with molded in studs to fit sockets on to. Only,the sockets won't fit over the studs. Or,the front seat of my Taurus(I have stopped buying Fords): The front seat broke its frame when I got in one day. I looked and the 3/16" thick frame steel had been bent at a sharp 90º angle. Anyone knows you don't put sharp angle bends into steel like that. It made a neat 45º fracture where it broke. What kind of engineers are they hiring these days?

Michael Weber
07-09-2013, 6:23 PM
Dan, you really shouldn't have to put up with such things. I'll be in LR next week and can come pick it up to save you embarrassment. Thank heavens for thoughtful Arkies such as myself.

Steve Peterson
07-09-2013, 8:09 PM
Nice little lathe. I agree with Dan the the caddy should swing, but how often do you need to access the belt, given the VS?

I have a Oneway 1224 with 2 speed ranges (~10-1200 and ~25-4000). I change speeds once or twice per project. And I certainly change speed ranges when switching between bowls and pens. It is nice to be able to have the extra torque for larger items. The Jet looks like it would have too high of a minimum speed if it was left in high speed mode all the time.

The initial assessment is dead on. Why do they bother adding a feature that is completely useless? It sounds like the marketing department added it as a "feature" to compare against the competition. They forgot to get the engineer (or anyone with some common sense) to approve the change. I am an engineer and I am constantly baffled by stupid design decisions like this.

Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2013, 9:14 PM
Steve,

It sure looks like some fluff demanded by the marketing department. The decision maker probably caved into to stroke the marketing managers ego.

Dan Case LR
07-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Dan, you really shouldn't have to put up with such things. I'll be in LR next week and can come pick it up to save you embarrassment. Thank heavens for thoughtful Arkies such as myself.

Michael, I mentioned this to my wife. She is concerned that if I give my new lathe away she might risk losing her new sewing machine (purchased just prior to my lathe). After some spirited discussion, we decided that you can have the Jet 1221vs--provided that you leave a Robust American Beauty in its place. :)

D.

Dan Hintz
07-10-2013, 7:49 AM
I get the occasional cringe when people see me using my Robust AB for turning pens :p

Dan Case LR
07-10-2013, 9:29 AM
I get the occasional cringe when people see me using my Robust AB for turning pens :p

Sounds a little like lighting a candle with a flamethrower. :)

D.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Sounds a little like lighting a candle with a flamethrower. :)

D.

But when you need a flame thrower...it's better than having a candle!

Dan Hintz
07-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Too true... I obviously turn much larger items, but pens are quite relaxing.