PDA

View Full Version : grizzly vs powermatic bandsaw in the 14" range

Andrew Howe
07-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Hi all,

Am looking at replacing my current delta homecraft 10" band saw with a bigger one, ie. 14" saw. I am sure lots will say go for a 17" saw, but I really do not think I would use the full potential of a 17" saw.
My Delta cuts, but and tracks fairly well. Wheels are coplaner with shims, but it ends up putting most of the blade outside the the cool blocks so its not the best at resawing, which is something I would like to eventually be able to do in a range of >6". I could keep the delta for fine cuts and have a more dedicated resaw band saw as well. Not sure I want to do that as I have a small shop.

I can get a new grizzly G0555 (anniversary model) with a riser block for $600, and there is a used powermatic 14" saw with riser block a few blades and a kreg fence for not too much more....
I read a lot about mixed reviews and poor resaw results with the powermatic and fairly positive reviews on the grizzly.
I would like to hear some recent opinions on pros and cons of either saw from both owners.

Jeff Monson
07-08-2013, 10:46 PM
I have a PM 14" with the riser block installed, I can say it cuts great and has been a very good saw. With any bandsaw you choose the setup and blade choice are going to be the driving factor to good cuts and resawing. Sounds like you have the setup process down by your post. The Powermatic would be my choice if the price is close, you shouldnt have to purchase anything to have a nice cutting saw, if the blades are quality blades.