PDA

View Full Version : Inheriting lathe

Jon Toebbe
05-23-2005, 9:28 AM
My grandfather was an enthusiastic woodworker all his life. Sadly, since we never lived nearby I wasn't able to learn at his knee. He's been gone for a couple of years now, and my grandmother is ready to move into a nursing home. Hence, everything in their house is being prepared for auction. Since no one else in the family has much interest in woodworking, I've been offered grandpa's lathe.

I haven't a clue what I'll use it for, but would love to put it back into service -- a more fitting tribute to grandpa I can't imagine. As I mentioned, I know nothing about lathes, and would very much appreciate some advice.

What tools should I be looking for in his shop? What kind of projects are good for beginners? Where can I get some lessons in the Denver, CO area?

Thanks for your assistance!
Jon

Jeff Sudmeier
05-23-2005, 9:34 AM
Jon,

Sorry to hear of your grandfathers passing. It will make him proud to know that his lathe is going to bring joy to you.

Just a warning, once you get bit by the lathe bug, you will be a turner for life :) I love turning because you can accomplish a whole project in one session... :)

The things to look for in his shop are a grinder (for sharpening the lathe tools) and the lathe tools (gouges, skews, parting tools, etc). Also, he may have had a chuck for the lathe, different drive centers, etc.

Just a suggestion, but I'd bet that your grandmother would be very touched if you gave her the first sucessfull turning you made. A simple turning will bring back many memories I am sure.

Good luck, be sure to post pics once you have the lathe.

Jon Toebbe
05-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Just a suggestion, but I'd bet that your grandmother would be very touched if you gave her the first sucessfull turning you made. A simple turning will bring back many memories I am sure.
An excellent idea, Jeff! I'd been thinking along those same lines myself.

My grandfather made simple step stools for every married couple in the family. He was working on one for me and my wife when he became too ill to manage the stairs down to his workshop. :( My uncle tells me the cut parts are still lying on his workbench. I plan to finish the stool and use it to draw up plans for it (grandpa got the original out of a Popular Mechanics from 1932 or thereabouts, long since gone). Nicely printed copies of Grandpa Herman's stool will go to everyone in the family with any interest in woodworking at all.

Don Baer
05-23-2005, 11:39 AM
Yoou might get a copy of "Turning Wood" by Richard Raffan. It cost $24.95 and you can get it at most major book stores, I got mine at Borders. It is a good read and will get you well on your way. Good luck and good turning.

Mike Ramsey
05-23-2005, 1:05 PM
Jon, congrats on the lathe! I just purchase a 3 book set of Richard Raffan Turning Wood, Turning Bowls & Turning boxes for $37.95 At Amazon.com. A great price for some great instructions from the Master Turner..

Harry Goodwin
05-23-2005, 5:06 PM
Jon: Old folks like me , not recommended by some, made their scraping tools from old files. Sometimes with a handle or softened a bit with a grinder. Look for files with a profile on an end. He probably only removed the file grain near the scraper where he formed the profile. Harry

Jack Wood
05-23-2005, 8:19 PM
My first memories of my Grandfather were ones where he was making a toy chest for me in his shop. My father was in the military for most of my life so we moved a lot, but every chance we had we'd visit my Grandparents and I would spend all my time in his shop turning on his lathe and making birdhouses and such. After he died the shop sat unused for some years until my aunt who lived with my grandparents decided to move to an apt. She knew of my love for woodworking and what that had meant to my Grandfather and she gave me the lathe and turning tools. I use it regularly now and I'm passing on the love of woodworking that my Grandfather gave to me to my son now. Best of luck with that lathe and Jeff has a great suggestion in making something for your Grandmother after you learn a few things about turning. Here's a pic of my son working on that lathe.

Harry Pye
05-23-2005, 9:32 PM
My grandfather was a stairbuilder. He taught me to turn on his home made lathe in 1943 or 1944. I was a Boy Scout and wanted to get Woodturning Merit Badge. There was traces of his stairbulding in the lathe. The tailstock and tool rests were made of oak. He was my hero!

Mark Stutz
05-23-2005, 11:34 PM
Jon,There is no question that turning on this lathe will be very special. If possible, I would take EVERY tool of any kind you can get from his shop. I was very young when my grandfather had a huge farm sale because he was not in good health. I only have a few things--a few wrenches, chisels, etc, and think of him every time I use one. I remember so much more that was in the garage, and wish I had more of his tools.

Mark

John Hart
05-24-2005, 7:04 AM
Jon,

I think that Jeff's suggestion for a gift to your grandmother is a great idea. As far as a simple first project and one that would be a nice gift...maybe a spindle candle base of some kind? Get your feet wet, and you'll fall into the abyss of love.:)