PDA

View Full Version : Micrometer Type Adjustments to Rip Fence Positioning

George Bokros
07-08-2013, 9:59 AM
Has anyone developed a fine adjustment method for your rip fence when setting for a rip cut other than the tap tap tap method?

I have a Biesemeyer fence.

Thanks

George

Brian Tymchak
07-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Sure. Here's one from Rockler: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16755. I'm not advocating this as a recommended product. Just showing as an example.

And there are other products and home grown solutions - just google: table saw rip fence micro adjuster

pat warner
07-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Did it (http://patwarner.com/images/dpfence.jpg) for the drill press, (not what you asked for).
But can be modified for a saw fence, albeit a major modification.

Ole Anderson
07-08-2013, 3:48 PM
There are a number of systems out there, including one that came standard on my HTH fence. Not sure any work better or faster than the tap-tap system. If I need a small adjustment, I just keep an eye on the curser on the fence and can easily see 1/64 or better of movement when I tap.

Roger Feeley
07-08-2013, 4:59 PM
+1 on the negative recommendation on the Rockler. I was in a Rockler store about a year ago. I had recently gotten a Sawstop for which I gave up my old Powermatic 63 with a Vega fence. The Vega had a built in micro adjuster that I sorely missed. I looked at the Rockler and thought it looked flimsy. You have to reposition it every time you want to make an adjustment.

To my mind, something using MagSwitches would be ideal. Just engage the MagSwitch, unlock the fence and turn a little knob.

I love the SawStop but I do miss the micro-adjust feature of the Vega.

john bateman
07-08-2013, 6:02 PM
I bought one of these:http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/424-0166/digital_measuring and adapted it to my saws fence. I don't use it often, but it's great for when I need precise incremental movements. My fence already had a knurled wheel built into the fence head which allows it to be moved more smoothly than just giving it a bump, though.

George Bokros
07-08-2013, 6:17 PM
I have the Wixey digital read out on my fence. I was looking for a way to move the fence itself to take advantage of the digital accuracy. I guess I will stick to tap tap system. Wonder if I could it patented?

Bruce Page
07-08-2013, 6:58 PM
This is what I came up with. I still have to tap into position but I can tap very accurately. I started out using a micrometer head but discovered that it would push the mount backward instead of pushing the fence forward. I made this out of aluminum but it could be made out of a block of hardwood.

Alan Lightstone
07-08-2013, 7:23 PM
I added the Wixey Digital Read Out to the General International Microadjuster on my SawStop. It works amazingly well, and was very easy to modify and install.

Pat Barry
07-08-2013, 8:38 PM
I like the micro adjust feature on my Rigid tablesaw. Its a slick little thumbwheel that works nicely for fine adjustments. I can't see using the tap tap method when I have this feature available.

Mark Carlson
07-08-2013, 11:01 PM
+2 on negative recommendation of Rockler version. Magnet isn't strong enough to hold adjuster.

+1 on the negative recommendation on the Rockler. I was in a Rockler store about a year ago. I had recently gotten a Sawstop for which I gave up my old Powermatic 63 with a Vega fence. The Vega had a built in micro adjuster that I sorely missed. I looked at the Rockler and thought it looked flimsy. You have to reposition it every time you want to make an adjustment.

To my mind, something using MagSwitches would be ideal. Just engage the MagSwitch, unlock the fence and turn a little knob.

I love the SawStop but I do miss the micro-adjust feature of the Vega.