PDA

View Full Version : oak leaf gouge

John Powers
07-08-2013, 9:57 AM
THE LOST CARVING inspired me along with the work shown here. I'm making an adirondack table. Christmas trees for legs....twigs...the whole bit. I've carved trout in the front and am doing oak leaves and acorns on the sides in poplar. it'll be washed in green milk paint. I want to scoop out the leaves leaving the veins. what kind of gouge will scoop and exit in a small space? the tiny trout flies will be on in the Lehigh Valley in a week which puts me near the Woodcraft and the Swiss tools. appreciate your input.

Karl Andersson
07-08-2013, 1:25 PM
Without pictures, I'm not sure if you're trying to do a fully naturalistic copy of the leaves (like Gibbons and lost carving) or more an artistic rendition, but for the most realistic leaf vein on the top surface of the leaf on oak (and most) leaves, the vein is an indented flat, not a raised vein- except for the end of the leaf closest to the branch where the vein becomes a rounded stalk and on some species (white oak) it protrudes above the leaf plane for a short bit before exiting the leaf. To get this natural appearance, I'd recommend incising the veins with a v-tool or veiner, then make the plane of the leaf gently slope down to it with a flat pointed knife or highly skewed chisel. I am doing a project now with a similar need; close quarters and a need to round off groove edges regardless of grain direction - I have most success with the knife shown below from Woodcraft. It can cut decently regardless of grain direction and the pointed profile helps reach into small crevices- just keep it honed and shave, don't gouge.

The veins do stand proud of the leaf on the underside - for that I'd run two v-lines first to define the vein, then the same knife to clear the field around them, then either finish with the knife or a small hooked skew chisel like that below.

Pfiel doesn't make a hooked skew apparently, but the Woodcraft chisels and knives are usually decent steel and cheap enough that you wouldn't flinch too much if you re-profiled the blade of a flared flat chisel with a grinder or small belt sander.

Regarding your original question (sorry if I made too many off-topic suggestions), for gouging in a small space I use a series of small palm-handled gouges that all have the same flat sweep, a slight bend in the shaft, and range from 1/8 inch to 3/8 inch wide. These didn't come from Woodcraft, but you should be able to assemble a small set from their individual gouges.

at least that's how I'd do it - good luck and be sure to post pictures when you're done!

Karl

Mike Pounders
07-12-2013, 5:44 PM
Ashley Isles makes some hooked skews in palm like above and longer; they're called the "Ray Gonzalez style".

Here's a link: http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/store/c/705-Ashley-Iles.html

John Powers
07-13-2013, 10:27 AM
thanks. I'm on my way and have simplified. I was over engineering. buying these tools is addictive. retirement is getting expensive.

Mark Yundt
07-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Chances are that considering the carving you have already done you have the tools to carve Oak Leaves already on your bench. Though not an Oak leaf this ( my avatar) was done with 6 chisels. Few are needed for leaves.
For the first two years as a professional carver I had a total of 12 chisels.