PDA

View Full Version : Twins.......well sort of.

Curt Fuller
07-07-2013, 10:09 PM
I posted a pic of a cottonwood lidded jar a while back. I made this one from the other quarter of the same cottonwood log. I didn't realize how similar it was while I was making it. This one is a little larger, has a one piece lid and finial, and the lid is inset a little less. The larger one is gloss WOP, the smaller is satin WOP. But after buffing I can't tell the difference. Whatdoyouthink?

Rick Markham
07-07-2013, 10:24 PM
I think they are both fantastic Curt! Man that cottonwood has some serious curl and it even looks quilted in places. Spectacular pieces for sure, I would have to say the smaller is my favorite of the two, but I think it is the contrasting knob that catches me over the larger one. As for form, they are both wonderful, I dig the curve of the larger vessels bottom, it's really got a sweet shape. Even though the contrasting knob grabs my attention over the other knob, I think they both work equally well, and fit perfectly to each vessel. It would be hard to choose one over the other, they look great together! Well executed!

Roger Chandler
07-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Wow! That cottonwood has some beautiful figure in it! Nice forms on both Curt..........looks like you have this form down pat! I like the inset lid on this tall type form.........it goes well with it.

Steve Doerr
07-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Curt,
The two of them look GREAT. The shape really helps highlight the figure in the cottonwood. Keep up the good work.
Steve

Eric Gourieux
07-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Curt, these are great. I really like the form - and both finials. Well done!

robert baccus
07-07-2013, 11:45 PM
Really unique shape--I like it. Of course the Dalbergia deltoids wood helps too.

Michelle Rich
07-08-2013, 7:00 AM
looks super to me..that wood is wonderful

Dennis Ford
07-08-2013, 7:44 AM
They are both great, wood and form perfect. I have a slight preference for the single piece lid.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-08-2013, 7:46 AM
Nice work Curt. Call them big brother and little sister. I've seen a number of cotton wood projects on your posts. I don't think we have any in NE PA and if we do I am not aware of it. The combination of heartwood and sapwood you use makes a great contrast and is very striking.
faust

Doug Herzberg
07-08-2013, 9:24 AM
They are beautiful, Curt. Have you had any trouble with cottonwood moving too much?

Dennis Nagle
07-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Those shapes look really elegant and the wood has a lot a character. GOod job.

jwjerry w kowalski
07-08-2013, 2:06 PM
Man that's some beautiful wood.

Curt Fuller
07-08-2013, 9:22 PM
Thanks everyone for all the nice comments. I appreciate it!

Really unique shape--I like it. Of course the Dalbergia deltoids wood helps too.
Robert, this is actually Fremont Cottonwood, populus fremontii. Old, dead, dry stuff that has weathered to give it the color. But you're right, without the great figure in the wood these would just be jars.

They are beautiful, Curt. Have you had any trouble with cottonwood moving too much?
Not with this stuff Doug. Old, dead, dry wood when I got it. I don't even try to turn green cottonwood (or willow, aspen or others in that family) because it's too stringy. Find a dead one that's blown over and just cut the crotch wood out. The straight pieces aren't usually very pretty.

Thanks again everyone!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Curt,

It is easy to see why they made the WOW cover! Very organic forms and the wood is simply stunning! Nicely done Sir!

Pat Scott
07-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Both are beautiful. I'm partial to the larger one. I think I like the one piece knob and that the lid isn't inset as much. What are the sizes again?

Curt Fuller
07-09-2013, 7:21 PM
Thanks again everyone!

What are the sizes again?
Pat, the larger one is 8 1/2" tall, 3 1/2" diameter. The smaller one is 7 1/2" x 3 1/4".

Benjamin Dahl
07-10-2013, 7:52 AM
Curt, those are wonderful. Thanks for posting.
Ben