PDA

View Full Version : I need guidance on how to sharpen forstner bits.....

Jack Gaskins
07-07-2013, 5:27 PM
I have 4 craftsman and 2 freud and 1 Fisch forstners bits ranging from 3/4 to 2 1/2 inch, all are dull and a few are a little over heated. I think most of them have the serrated teeth and one has the wavy rim. What would you guys suggest for sharpening? I don't have any diamond files or round files so I would have to go out and purchase whatever you guys suggest. Thanks, Jack.

glenn bradley
07-07-2013, 6:07 PM
I pretty much follow this method. (http://tinyurl.com/mbbestt) Once you do a few, it is very easy. Easy enough that I will stop in mid-project for a touch up if I think I need it. I use a dremel stone in the drill press versus the round file for the sharpening of the cup rim but, a round file works. The DMT diamond paddles are cheap on sale (and go on sale frequently).

Keith Westfall
07-10-2013, 1:26 AM
Dremel tool with a cut off wheel in it. Works great at many different angles. If I use my super eyeglass magnifier, even better... (then I can see!)

Keith

Art Mann
07-10-2013, 11:14 AM
I also use a Dremel tool with various grinding implements. I also use the little sanding disks. Some surfaces require a flat file or triangular file like what was shown in Glenn's link.