PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Troubles

Brodie Brickey
07-07-2013, 3:16 PM
I have a Delta cabinet saw from the 90s. The blade's back edge is closer to the fence than the outfeed side. Anyone in the So Cal area know a reliable repair shop? I've taken it apart but can't figure out the actual cause.

Really don't want to get a new saw.

Thanks.

glenn bradley
07-07-2013, 3:24 PM
From your description it just sounds like an alignment. On a cabinet saw this is done by loosening the table top and moving it into alignment. I remove the fence and wings because the amount of time saved overall works well for me. What model Delta is it? If it is Uni-Saw like, the Grizzly G0690 series are based on that design IIRC and the manual is available online. My previous hybrid and my current cab-saw have 4 bolts, one in each corner. Do not loosen the bolts that hold the trunnions to the cabinet. Those bolts are usually not visible with the top on but, just in case. The table top bolts are usually visible by just looking up from underneath.

If you saw has the trunnions mounted to the table directly like a contractor's saw format, the above info does not apply. Let me see if I posted that procedure here . . . ah, here you go: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?111878-Blade-to-Miter-Slot-Alignment-Cab-Mount-Trunnions&highlight=alignment

James Baker SD
07-07-2013, 4:32 PM
Hi Brodie:

Exactly what is your problem? Your description is not clear to me. If your blade is not parallel to your miter slots, then I would do what Glenn describes. If the problem is only between the blade and the fence, I would try adjusting the fence first.

James

Matt Day
07-07-2013, 6:42 PM
I think you should just give it to me. ;-)

johnny means
07-07-2013, 8:52 PM
Clearly you need a new saw:) But seriously, have you inspected anything yet? Could be as simple as a fence alignment. They do adjust. Or as complex as a miter slot and fence alignment. Neither of which is terribly complex or difficult. There must be hundreds of tutorials online for this type of adjustment. Youtube is a great place to start.

Brodie Brickey
07-08-2013, 9:42 AM
Sorry I wasn't clear. I have a stock insert, [note: not a zero insert] and the blade is grinding right into the infeed side. It has to easily be an 1/8th off if not more. I'll try the table alignment and see if that works. Thanks.

johnny means
07-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Brodie, the first thing you should check is the blade to miter slot alignment. The throat plate won't play a role in TS set-up. After that the fence should also be aligned to the miter slot (or the blade). The throat plate then needs to be made to fit a your properly set-up saw.