PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice!!

Calvin Williams
07-06-2013, 7:28 PM
Hey guys, I'm building a couple of these bookshelves for a customer and I'm curious to know how you would go about making the square pieces on what I guess you could call a corbel near the top of the bookshelves. I have tried to carve them and I'm just not getting the result that I want. Btw, I don't claim to be a master carver either. Lol! Any help would be appreciated and I know the picture isn't all that great but it's the one the customer had sent me. Thanks!!!!

johnny means
07-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Outdated plastics:)

david brum
07-07-2013, 9:28 AM
Are you talking about carving the flutes or carving the dentil (little squares) design?

Larry Fox
07-07-2013, 9:50 AM
Rosette cutter for the square parts at the top. Nice looking case.

Calvin Williams
07-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Yes David the square part. I guess you could call it a rosette. But, a rosette cutter won't work since it's just chamfered on all four sides like a pyramid. I know it's kinda hard to tell from the pic but it looks they also have a slight convex curve in them also. I'll just keep trying to carve on a sample until I get it looking the way I want. Thanks!!!

david brum
07-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Calvin, I would make the component independently by doing a series of angled table saw cuts on the end of a long stick. Then I'd crosscut the component off of the stick and glue it to the corbel. Make a bunch of them and select the best ones for your piece. You could always sand the slight convex curve.

Keith Hankins
07-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Hey guys, I'm building a couple of these bookshelves for a customer and I'm curious to know how you would go about making the square pieces on what I guess you could call a corbel near the top of the bookshelves. I have tried to carve them and I'm just not getting the result that I want. Btw, I don't claim to be a master carver either. Lol! Any help would be appreciated and I know the picture isn't all that great but it's the one the customer had sent me. Thanks!!!!

Do a google on osborne wood products they make a lot of things like this and will do custom orders. Contact them and I bed they would do them for you.

Richard Coers
07-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Horrible picture. I like the idea of a separate piece, but not end grain like the other suggestion. Looks like you could just sand on the radius and glue it in a recess. If you are building them, how were you able to quote these without knowing how to make them?

Calvin Williams
05-15-2014, 10:29 PM
Horrible picture. I like the idea of a separate piece, but not end grain like the other suggestion. Looks like you could just sand on the radius and glue it in a recess. If you are building them, how were you able to quote these without knowing how to make them?

I haven't been on here in awhile and I know this is old. But, apparently you didn't read my post correctly. I know it's a horrible picture but that's what the customer gave me to go off of and I had to make it work. Anyhow, I had planned to carve those pieces they just weren't turning out right. I ended up carving them separately and applying them into a recess which ended up turning out well. So, I did know how to make them just had to make a detour along the way.

Thomas Hotchkin
05-16-2014, 12:44 AM
Calvin
Turned out Great!! I really like how they work coming of the recess with the shadow line. Tom

Calvin Williams
05-16-2014, 7:21 AM
Calvin
Turned out Great!! I really like how they work coming of the recess with the shadow line. Tom

Thanks Tom..... I built two matching ones but here is a pic of one finished.