PDA

View Full Version : Weird Jack plane thingy...

Harold Burrell
07-06-2013, 2:39 PM
I have been trying to identify this plane. I picked it (along with a transitional jointer) for $8. Does ANYONE have ANY idea what it is???

The only markings on it are the insignia pictured below. The iron is marked "Cherry-Works".

Thanks...

steven c newman
07-06-2013, 2:43 PM
Just a frame. pattern makers then screwed a pattern to the frame.

Sam Takeuchi
07-06-2013, 3:02 PM
Identical planes were posted here before. Previous one, if my memory serves right, was in much cleaner condition than this one. Not sure of its origin, though.

george wilson
07-06-2013, 4:56 PM
There are no screw holes to screw a pattern to it. Might have been someone's idea of how to reduce friction. Seems like an excellent plane to keep your fingers away from the holes when planing with it!!

Jim Neeley
07-06-2013, 7:12 PM
At first I thought it might be in insert for a transitional but i don't see how you'd affix it.

Jim Koepke
07-06-2013, 7:52 PM
A plane with the ever so popular factory supplied hang holes.

Patrick Leach says a bit about a plane that looks to be pretty much to be the same design:

http://www.supertool.com/etcetera/deadends/hardy.htm

jtk

Jim Belair
07-06-2013, 9:34 PM
Useful or not I think it's very cool looking. Clean it up, round up a front knob, and display it with pride.

Derek Cohen
07-06-2013, 11:34 PM
The pentangle on the lever cap suggests it was used in mystical ceremonies.

I can imagine a spiritual leader wearing a ceremonial leather apron, leaning over a long wooden altar, and engaged in a symbolic gesture.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mel Miller
07-06-2013, 11:36 PM
It's a fairly scarce plane made only for a short time by the Boston Metallic Plane Co. They are frequently found broken between the slots in the base.
I can give you more info by PM if you're interested.

Brian Ashton
07-07-2013, 4:34 AM
I have been trying to identify this plane. I picked it (along with a transitional jointer) for $8. Does ANYONE have ANY idea what it is???

The only markings on it are the insignia pictured below. The iron is marked "Cherry-Works".

Thanks...

I think you have a find there that needs to be taken care of.

Jim Belair
07-07-2013, 7:10 AM
Sounds like something that, if not of interest to you, could fund some additions to your working tool collection.

don wilwol
07-07-2013, 8:46 AM
Cool find for $8.

Harold Burrell
07-07-2013, 8:58 PM
Thanks for the input, all. Jim K., I'm pretty sure that that Patrick Leach page is (more or less) the plane I have. Everything is identical except the length (mine being more of a #5 size) and the emblem. But even in Leach's article he mentions that the emblem varied. So...thanks!

Jim Koepke
07-08-2013, 3:10 AM
Thanks for the input, all. Jim K., I'm pretty sure that that Patrick Leach page is (more or less) the plane I have. Everything is identical except the length (mine being more of a #5 size) and the emblem. But even in Leach's article he mentions that the emblem varied. So...thanks!

You are welcome.

I also got the idea that "different patriotic emblems" included a star along with the heraldic shield.

If it has no cracks, it is likely a collector somewhere is willing to pay some good money for it.

jtk

Harold Burrell
07-08-2013, 6:46 AM
If it has no cracks, it is likely a collector somewhere is willing to pay some good money for it.

The sole/body of the plane has no apparent cracks. However, there is a chip off a corner of the frog.

I'm going to clean it up and see what it looks like.