PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your finish---???

Gary Max
05-23-2005, 7:05 AM
After you get the finish just right---the shine is perfect--the finish lays nice and flat. What do you use to protect it---what product do you use to dust your fine wood ????
Lots of stuff out there and some that you should never buy.:confused:

Cecil Arnold
05-24-2005, 1:41 AM
Wow Gary, you have more control than I can imagine. When the project is in the shop it is mine, once it enters the house it becomes the wife's, who would use some of that stuff you shouldn't use (Pledge, etc). I don't like most of the wax based products because of build-up and lean toward the fast-drying oils mostly lemon oil since I like the clean smell and it dosn't seem to soften the finish (mostly varnish and laquer).

Gary Max
05-24-2005, 2:25 AM
I have been trying to find something that will not leave that waxey build up.

John Miliunas
05-24-2005, 8:33 AM
Gary, if you desire one of THE absolute best, try Renaissance Wax. Yes, it's expensive, but you need to use so, so very little of it, you'll be stunned at how far it can go. Gene Collison recommended it to me for use on hand planes. I have since used it on all my cast iron machine tops and yes, even on wood projects!:D :rolleyes: :) :cool:

John Lubeski
05-24-2005, 8:35 AM
My mom has used pledge for years and years, what is it that makes this bad to use? :confused:

Just wondering,

John L.

Brian Hale
05-24-2005, 4:33 PM
Here's a link (if allowed) that does a good job explaining the "myths" and such about furniture polishes...

http://woodworking-woodworking.com/furniturepolish.html

I'm with John, Renaissance Wax is the cats meow....

Brian

Brian

Don Baer
05-24-2005, 5:57 PM
here is a link to their web site.

http://www.guardsman.com/guardsman/furniture_care/index.jsp

Gary Max
05-24-2005, 6:26 PM
I will give the Ren wax a try this weekend. We are doing a small show and will have 6 pieces of furniture with us. The cloth part we figured out a long time ago---Cloth Diapers work great. We had bought something not to long ago that really caused a lot of work---when applied --it left a fog and we like never got it off. Of course it was a better table so we had to get it looking it's best.