PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell Jawstand...

Michael Dunn
07-06-2013, 2:21 PM
Hey guys!

What are your thoughts on the Rockwell Jawstand? I just picked one up from Menards and then returned it to have Lowes price match it.

It's quite well built. Except I guess for the plastic knobs. I would also like for it to have a wider clamping surface. That being said, it served me well on a job site the last couple of weeks. I used it for CMS support as well as TS in/outfeed support and also hold up a cabinet side as I fastened the back pieces to the side.

For the price I'd say its a good deal.

Has anyone here purchased this item? If so, what are some uses you've found? Aside from the stuff pictured on the box such as holding crown molding or an upper cabinet.

Mark Bolton
07-06-2013, 2:56 PM
and then returned it to have Lowes price match it

I dont get it?

Michael Dunn
07-06-2013, 3:05 PM
I dont get it?

I bought it from Menards for $59.98. Then went to Lowes for something else and saw they had it $69.98. I returned it to Menards, then went back to Lowes and paid $53.98 after they beat Menards' price.

The big box stores only beat a competitors price if it is lower. Not if it is the same price. I'm debating if I want to show my receipt for $53.98 from Lowes to Menards and see if they'll beat that price.

Mark Bolton
07-06-2013, 3:18 PM
I bought it from Menards for $59.98. Then went to Lowes for something else and saw they had it $69.98. I returned it to Menards, then went back to Lowes and paid $53.98 after they beat Menards' price.

The big box stores only beat a competitors price if it is lower. Not if it is the same price. I'm debating if I want to show my receipt for $53.98 from Lowes to Menards and see if they'll beat that price.

Ahh, right, I always forget about this matching/beating thing... Guess Im losing money. The effort/shuffle seems costly for such a small amount plus lost time involved though I can see where it would add up or make sense especially on a large purchase.

Im so thankful Im not in that game,... Here a smaller outfit gave an honest effort at providing a better price to their customers and lost the sale anyway and worse wound up with an unsaleable return in the back. No offense to you, its their policy, hopefully people taking advantage of it will run them in the ground.

You wonder how long they can keep this stuff up. If my customers took my honest bid/invoice and shopped it around and I had to drop my number I'd have been in chapter 11 20 years ago :D

John Lifer
07-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Either price was good for the item, I too would never think of the wasted time and gas spent for $6.00. My time, wear on my car is worth more than that. A $20 or so maybe if they were next to each other and across the street from my house. But I guess that is just me.

Jay Jolliffe
07-07-2013, 1:50 PM
Guess I don't have to say it also. The two before me already did..

Mark Bolton
07-07-2013, 2:04 PM
I wasn't realy thinking/implying Michael made these trips exclusively for the 6.00. I assumed more likely he frequents both locations and just folded it in. I just meant the time in line, in another line, and then in another line, packing the vs in and out, and so on. Even if he made te trip for the six bucks that's his prerogative.

I just moreso think of how brutal it has to be to be in such a cut throat business.. It must be miserable... But millions are made so I suppose its not that bad.

Jim Neeley
07-07-2013, 2:41 PM
Millions are made but not by the poor schmucks who have to deal with it.

Retail is definitely a tough road, and generally not a well-compensated road either.