PDA

View Full Version : Some recent turnings

Steve Doerr
07-06-2013, 9:36 AM
A customer commissioned me to do several turnings from some wood that he had cut down on his property. These are the first two that I have completed from the wood he gave me. The first is a natural edge bowl that contains Inlacy turquoise it is 5 1/4 W x 3. The second is a HF 5 1/4 W x 3 5/8. Both are cherry burl and were dipped in an oil blend and them Beall buffed.

Several months ago Tom Coghill and I traded some wood. Tom is from Alaska and I'm from Missouri. So I was excited to have an opportunity to get some native wood from Alaska. So, this is the first piece I have turned from the wood that Tom gave me. It's a piece of paper birch. The piece is an end grain HF that is 4 3/8" W x 5 1/4" T. It was dipped in a blend of oils and then Beall buffed.

C & C welcomed on all three pieces. Thanks and keep on turnin'.
Steve

Eric Gourieux
07-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Steve, those are really nice. Congrats on the wood exchange and the commission. Would you explain your dipping process?

Bernie Weishapl
07-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Those are nice pieces. It is great when you can trade wood from different parts of the country.

Michelle Rich
07-06-2013, 11:51 AM
luv the squat pot and the alaska pot..both very appealing

Steve Doerr
07-06-2013, 12:18 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Eric--nothing special on the dipping. I use 1/3 BLO, 1/3 Danish Oil, and 1/3 Gloss Minwax Wipe on Poly. Don't ask me why this formula it is one I picked up from a turn in my area. I have it in a lidded 5 gallon plastic bucket and completely submerge the turning in it. I have mostly been doing single dips (in and out or soak for up to 1/2 hour) but am working on multiple to see if there is a difference. I am working on a yellow pine bowl with lots of pitch that has been turned thin enough that it is translucent in several spots. I did a 24 hour dip on that and will be doing several more. Using info that I found on NIP as my guide on this one. After the dip I will wipe off excess with paper towel and let it set for 4 or 5 days to make sure it is cured before I do my buffs. Hope that helps.
Steve

Eric Gourieux
07-07-2013, 1:01 AM
Yes, that helps. Thanks for sharing, Steve. I've been wanting to try a dip, so I'll give it a go.

Pat Scott
07-07-2013, 8:45 PM
Eric--nothing special on the dipping. I use 1/3 BLO, 1/3 Danish Oil, and 1/3 Gloss Minwax Wipe on Poly.

Steve have you tried dipping using only Danish Oil? Danish Oil is a mixture of 1/3 oil, 1/3 varnish or poly, and 1/3 mineral spirits. So when you mix Danish Oil with more oil (BLO) and more varnish/poly (Minwax), I don't know if you're getting that much different of a mixture than what straight Danish Oil is. Maybe you end up with a mixture that has a little more oil and a little more poly? Just asking.