PDA

View Full Version : July 4 engagement bowl

David A. Peterson
07-06-2013, 8:26 AM
Instead of going to a recreational area and fighting with the crowds and traffic, I stayed home and turned a bowl. The lump came off the end of a huge slab of walnut I bought in April (to use for a coffee table). this was part of the scrap to square up the slab. The wood had been air drying for at least 5 years, so it was dry and stable. Coincidentally, at the exact same time I was turning the bowl, my niece was in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her boyfriend. He proposed to her during the time I was turning the bowl, so this bowl will be dated July 4 and will be a wedding present to the happy couple. I will include a big bag of Hershey "KISSES" with the gift!

Dimensions: 7 5/8" x 1 5/8". Finished to 2000 grit. The finish is LIN-SPEED brand gun stock finish that is hand rubbed into the wood. I will be putting on a few more coats, but there are two coats on it right now.

I especially like the rich chocolate color of the piece being air dried (vs. kiln dried).

Steve Schlumpf
07-06-2013, 8:51 AM
Beautiful bowl David! Love the rich color! I am sure the happy couple will cherish the gift! Nice work!

Michelle Rich
07-06-2013, 8:54 AM
lovely gift..the wood is beautiful