PDA

View Full Version : shed door design & hardware

Dennis Putnam
07-06-2013, 4:29 AM
I thought there would be plenty of help on this but I am not having much luck. I have a 20X17 shed and am looking for door designs for the 8' opening. I am thinking of 2 - 4' sliding doors. I have encountered 2 problems. The first is lack of a good design for the doors. Is a simple rectangular frame sufficient? I am hoping to finish the door with the same siding as the rest of the shed (hardy board) but I cannot visualize the detail (trimming and weatherproofing the edges, etc.) and if I should use sheathing first like the rest of the shed as well. Due to edge exposure, that does not seem like a good idea?

The 2nd problem is a source for the hardware. This is not a fancy interior door and that is pretty much the only hardware I've been able to find. With price tags of $500-$700 that cannot be what I want or need and true barn door hardware seems much too heavy for this application. I tried looking at the Johnson web site, which seems more reasonably priced, but from what I can tell they only sell rails and hangers. I did not find any mounting hardware, layout help or mounting instructions. If this is really typical pricing, I'd rather revert to hinged doors (which of course changes the door design, z or x frame).

Clearly I am floundering with this part of my project and need some help. Thanks.

Carl Beckett
07-06-2013, 8:33 AM
I had a shed with a sliding door (if you are in MA I will give you the hardware rail and rollers). It wasnt very tight.

On one shed I built my own doors and used hinges. Two doors that swung out from each other and met in the middle. Framed an opening that was also the trim on the outside. This allowed traditional weather strips, tighter fit, etc etc. I would do this again. I made a frame for the door out of 1x4, laminated two thick so all the joints overlapped. Then used the same siding as was on the outside, screwed and glued to the frame, to cover it. I would do this style again (I like buildings to be as sealed as possible)

On my more recent building I used a traditional steel garage door. 'pretty' tight, if trimmed out and installed carefully.

Given your situation I would just go with the hinges.

Dennis Putnam
07-06-2013, 9:25 AM
Thanks. I am not in MA but for that price I'd be more than willing to pay for shipping. Can you send me details on the hardware? I am leaning toward sliding doors for a traditional barn look but I guess I can get that to some extent with hinged doors too. A garage door style would ruin the look for me.

Did you use the siding on the edges as well (if have enough left I may wrap it in weather fabric)? For a hinged door the exposure is limited compared to a sliding door.

Why did you decide on laminated 1Xs rather than 2Xs?

I keep coming back to using hinges myself but I am unsure of the door design so I don't get a lot of sag over time. Even though they would only be 4'X8', that is still a lot of weight. My previous attempt on another door using Z frame didn't work out so well and that was a smaller door.

Joe Kieve
07-06-2013, 1:54 PM
Dennis....check out these folks, They may have something you can use. I have no connection with them but have used their hardware in the past.

http://www.johnsonhardware.com/products.htm

Joe Scharle
07-06-2013, 3:20 PM
My garage doors are 5/4 cypress, just nailed (15ga) criss-cross. The hinges are cultivator shanks worked into door hinges by a blacksmith. Shanks were free!
Might give you some ideas.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/970/Garage_Doors_2.JPG

Jim Andrew
07-06-2013, 8:53 PM
I used overhead doors in my shop. Bought on sale at the lumberyard and installed myself. I got the insulated doors and used garage door weatherstrip. They are tighter than sliding doors. If you are sure you want 8' wide doors, you could use an 8 x 7 overhead door.