PDA

View Full Version : 95-year old invents and patents safer screwdriver.

Frank Trinkle
07-06-2013, 1:33 AM
Found this on Breitbart this morning. Interesting, but a long way to go before we see it as "standard".

http://miami.cbslocal.com/latest-videos/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9063274

Mike Null
07-06-2013, 8:09 AM
I'm afraid it just ain't a better mousetrap. But nice try.

Brian Elfert
07-06-2013, 8:11 AM
Why reinvent the flat blade screwdriver when we have phillips, square drive, and torx already?

Jason Roehl
07-06-2013, 8:39 AM
The "point" was a lack of one--for safety.

It's a nice thought, but I've jabbed myself with a screwdriver a few times. It teaches me to be more careful. I can't say that I have any scars from that particular type of injury, either, but I have plenty from bladed sharp objects.

David G Baker
07-06-2013, 11:26 AM
I rarely use slotted screws due to my stripping the slot especially when I use cheap screws and brass screws. 97% of my screwdrivers are Phillips, 1% torx, 1% square drive and 1% slotted. I have also punched holes in my hands back when slotted screws were the only thing available.

Jerome Stanek
07-06-2013, 11:29 AM
And you would have to carry 2 screw drivers in case you have regular screws without the extra groves. bad enough with straight head phillips head torx and square drive let alone a combination of them with safety center pins.

Scott Shepherd
07-06-2013, 12:41 PM
Forget the invention, I hope I look that good if I make it to 95, and I also hope if I do make it to 95, my mind is as sharp as his.

ray hampton
07-06-2013, 1:26 PM
Forget the invention, I hope I look that good if I make it to 95, and I also hope if I do make it to 95, my mind is as sharp as his.

I also wish for a sharp mind when I reach my 95 birthday

Steve Meliza
07-06-2013, 4:39 PM
My first thought was why didn't he saw a single groove and make a "+" on the screw head? Then it dawned on me, not significantly different from phillips or reed and prince to be given a patent. So he sawed a second grove not to make it better, but to make it clearly different and patentable.

I see no advantages over phillips and disadvantages in high cost of manufacturing, a screw driver that you have oriented incorrectly 50% of the time, a weaker screw head, and an unsightly screw head.

Jerome Stanek
07-06-2013, 6:05 PM
It sounds like the episode on King Of Queens where Arthur makes a screw driver with an A

Brian Ashton
07-07-2013, 4:23 AM
I also wish for a sharp mind when I reach my 95 birthday

That's what I first thought of. Before I even opened the video I thought a slip proof screw had been invented about 100 years ago - the Robertson or square headed screw. But to see a 95 year old looking and acting like that is real encouraging...

Jerome Stanek
07-07-2013, 7:56 AM
Also who uses straight screws anymore. I stay away from them any chance I get

Brian Elfert
07-07-2013, 8:59 AM
I hate slotted screws too. I really like torx these days although square drive isn't bad. The dual drive square/phillips are stupid as they work poorly with phillips.

I was assembling a computer cabinet at work on Friday. The cabinet had previously been disassembled and was missing some screws. We have drawers full of hardware, but 90% of the screws are slotted! I have no idea why someone bought slotted screws in this day and age. At least I only had to replace a few screws. (I almost forgot we had the drawers of screws and was thinking I might have to go to the hardware store.)

Matt Meiser
07-07-2013, 9:19 AM
Good for him, but about as relevant as say a better cassette tape design. :)

David Weaver
07-07-2013, 12:54 PM
If you're doing fine work, slotted screws are the only tasteful answer if the screwheads are going to be allowed to show anywhere at all on the piece. Clocked on the finest work.

But those screws aren't going to qualify as being injury promoting, they're smaller.

Mel Fulks
07-07-2013, 2:33 PM
Agree with David. But I don't think there is anything more attractive about slotted screws .I think it is one of those "conditioning " things and the reluctance to date our work as modern.

Jim Koepke
07-07-2013, 2:43 PM
I must be one of those rare dawgs. For most of my work slotted screws are preferred. As David says, properly clocked so any tampering is easy to detect, even though my work is far from the finest.

My preference is also for brass.

Maybe my work practices are on the safe side. It is difficult for me to imagine being injured while turning a screw. My fingers are usually withdrawn from the fastener/driver interface once the fastener is started.

jtk

Mike Chance in Iowa
07-07-2013, 5:42 PM
95 and he still has his wits, hearing, eyesight, and a wife of 70 years. He must be doing something right!

Myk Rian
07-08-2013, 3:44 PM
Clocked on the finest work.
Also best to do with electrical outlet/switch covers.
Gives the job a finished look.

ray hampton
07-08-2013, 4:03 PM
Also best to do with electrical outlet/switch covers.
Gives the job a finished look.

your outlet covers use one screw , the switch cover use two screws, WHY NOT MAKE SPECIAL SCREWS FOR THOSE ITEMS ? [big head screws ]

Larry Whitlow
07-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Patent? There are probably a couple of plants in China gearing up as we speak. :)

Brian Elfert
07-11-2013, 8:47 AM
If one likes slotted screws due to looks this guy's invention probably wouldn't look all that great.

David Weaver
07-11-2013, 8:54 AM
If one likes slotted screws due to looks this guy's invention probably wouldn't look all that great.

I'd draw that conclusion, too.

Bill Cunningham
07-11-2013, 10:27 PM
I use Robertson (green,red,black) the square drive ones, for every project I can.. I have far too many scars from stupid flat blade drivers.

ray hampton
07-11-2013, 11:07 PM
I use Robertson (green,red,black) the square drive ones, for every project I can.. I have far too many scars from stupid flat blade drivers.

I use a battery-power drill to remove or drive what few screws that I find a need to spin unless the hole that hold the screw call for a long driver, the clutch prevent the damage that go hand-in-hand with your old screw drivers

John Coloccia
07-12-2013, 6:23 AM
Who uses slotted screws for general construction? This weird, interlocking thing doesn't self-center and it's far uglier than any other drive I'm familiar with. I just can't imagine a team of construction workers taking out one screw at a time, and daintily aligning all the little slots for every, stinking screw they drive. Anyhow, the problem has already been solved MULTIPLE times...Posidriv, Torx, and Robertson, all of which are readily available and self-center.

Cute old guy...I hope I'm that sharp if I live to see 95. The screw drive, however, is just not very impressive IMHO.