PDA

View Full Version : Places of Interest

Tony Falotico
05-23-2005, 6:28 AM
I will be traveling from North Florida to Oklahoma City early next month. Any good lumber mills, suppliers, or Woodworker's Stores along the way I should check out?

Routes are not set yet, probably be taking I-10 West and cutting north (NW) somewhere past Pensacola going out there. Coming home we plan on heading east and coming through the Great Smoky Mountains. Tips and suggestions on potential route and stops are certainly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance, Tony.

Norman Hitt
05-23-2005, 10:32 PM
I will be traveling from North Florida to Oklahoma City early next month. Any good lumber mills, suppliers, or Woodworker's Stores along the way I should check out?

Routes are not set yet, probably be taking I-10 West and cutting north (NW) somewhere past Pensacola going out there. Coming home we plan on heading east and coming through the Great Smoky Mountains. Tips and suggestions on potential route and stops are certainly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance, Tony.

Tony, either on the way out or going back, you should go through Atlanta and visit that Woodworking Tool Co, that everyone talks about here on the forum, (I'm blank right now and can't remember the name of it). If you're going through Pensacola, there are a couple of items to see, a ship, and a submarine you can go through, just south of I-10, (you can see them from the hwy), and if you're on I-10 that far, I would suggest continuing to New Orleans and hit the French quarter for some fine food, some interesting shops there, (antiques, a Brass shop with all kinds of hinges, fixtures, pulls, etc), and maybe a little entertainment at Pat O'Brians and other clubs with Jazz, etc., then maybe over to Lafayette where there are two or three places you can get Crawfish cooked 5 different ways on a platter, (and the crawfish E'toufe is out of this world), (if they are in season), then up I-49 to Shreveport, I-20 to Dallas and I-35 to OKC. You might even be able to stop by and see Steve Jenkins' Shop while in the Dallas area. I think Mr. Mickley's Finishing shop in Norman ?, Oklahoma would also be an interesting visit. This could be a Great trip if you have the time. Be Safe, and have a wonderful trip.

Oh yes, there is a Rocklers in Mesquite, Tx (on the east side of Dallas, and a little further north around loop 635 (and then a few blocks north), a WoodCraft Store. North of Dallas, you might want to detour slightly and take US 75 North to (either McKinney or Sherman) whichever town Mike Mastin, of "Curly Woods" is located in, (boy, am I Blank tonight--CRS is in full swing I guess), and look at some of the fine Wood he has to offer.

Ron Jones near Indy
05-23-2005, 10:50 PM
If you are close to Dallas stop in to see Mike at Curley Woods in McKinney. Likewise if you get close to Berea, KY on your way to the Smokeys plan for a day or 2 just to look around and visit with the craftsmen.