PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Ever Heard of This Company? (York Laser)

Sam Larter
07-05-2013, 3:20 AM
I've been searching around the web for weeks now and found this Chinese Laser company that lists a Laser machine that incorporates bot a YAG and a CO2 laser in the same package, similar to a Trotec Flexx, they call it the "DP+CO2 Multi-functional Laser Engraver". The company is called York Laser and is easily found using any search engine. Has anyone had any experience with them or heard any info about them? Also, do any of the other high end Chinese manufacturers make a similar machine?

Also, GWeike is showing a Firestar f100 RF Laser as an accessory on their website. How would one of these perform in a Chinese made machine?

I plan to go to the NBM show in Long Beach on the 19th to see several of the machines in actual use. The Big 5 (Trotec, Epilog, GCC, ULS & Vision) will be there along with a couple of U.S. resellers of Chinese machines (CAMFive & Hurricane). Right now I'm still leaning towards a Chinese import (mainly as I plan this as a hobby) but, I am thinking about not purchasing until the new controllers come out this September. Has anyone else heard about them?

Dave Sheldrake
07-05-2013, 5:32 AM
Also, GWeike is showing a Firestar f100 RF Laser as an accessory on their website. How would one of these perform in a Chinese made machine?

Hi Sam, the only real (practical) difference with a firestar is they provide a high quality polarised beam. In essence it just means they cut exactly the same in both axis whereas a non polarised beam will cut better in say X than it will Y (depending on polarising) nothing that would really notice in the real world but it doers mean an RF unit will cut XXX at 35 watts while a Chinese Glass would need 50 watts.

My opinion is a little different on actually buying say a firestar in a Chinese machine, would you buy a Ford Galxay then fit a Ferrari F50 engine in it?

I've seen the YAG/CO2 combo from York, to be honest I'd be more likely to buy a small YAG and a second CO2, the throughflow will be better and you won't get combination breakdowns (like a washing machine with built in tumble drier, if the drier breaks you can't do any washing)

best wishes

Dave

matthew knott
07-05-2013, 9:02 AM
As Dave says the firestar offers a better beam quality and much better rise/fall times but unless you had a very fast system I also cant see the advantage, it would give better reliability as the tube is not a disposable item like the Chinese lasers, but i think if you want a firestar go with a mainstream type laser to get the full advantage. Also the combined laser aspect is done a little differently form the Flex system, they clearly have to heads and will have 2 beam paths and 2 distinct sets of optics. The Flex system is a little compromised as it uses multi-wavelength optics so the results is a a co2 thats not quite as good as it would be, and a very slow (by comparison to a galvo) yag laser. I would also say buy 2 lasers, each designed to do what they are good at.
"would you buy a Ford Galxay then fit a Ferrari F50 engine in it?" because it would be EPIC fun, these guys fitted an F1 engine to a Mini Van http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ4X4l56Q1w but yes an EPIC waste of money

Sam Larter
07-05-2013, 4:08 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like the 'combo' lasers are similar to all-in-one printer/fax/scanners, good at everything but, great at nothing.

I like the RF lasers just because they are able to be fired at very low power to engrave very delicate items.

I'll keep reading and studying here and elsewhere until I'm ready to place my order.

Thanks!

Sam