PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Delta JT360 jointer

Craig Salyers
05-23-2005, 12:04 AM
I am relatively new to woodworking and recently took a couple classes at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit. The school had an excellent shop. We milled all our own wood from rough sawn lumber. Now I am thinking about buying some tools for myself. I borrowed a 6" bench-tip delta jointer (an older version of the JT160), but was not happy with how it preformed. Now I am thinking about buying a Delta JT360. Amazon has them for $350 right now. Woodwork is a week-end hobby for me, so it will not get a lot of use.

Does anyone have, or have used this jointer? What do you think of it? At this point, I would like to spend less than $400. Can I get a good jointer for that price, or am I better off waiting until I can spend more?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

scott spencer
05-23-2005, 7:44 AM
Hi Craig - I've looked over the JT360 (and the older model 37-190) many times in stores, but haven't put it through the paces so take my comments for what they're worth. In the same price range I see a few advantages in the Grizzly 1182, Ridgid, and Sears. The Griz and Ridgid have a much more massive cast iron fence support mechanism, whereas the Sears and the Delta have a fence support piece that's got alot of stamped steel. It still appears to be up to the task, but it's not as rugged. Also the Delta has an open stand and may not have as good DC, and the motor is 3/4hp vs 1hp on the others. I'm sure the Delta will work fine, but when comparing the components the others look stouter to me.

Not sure where you're located, but Wilke Machinery offers the Yorkcraft for < $350 plus s/h. It's a good clone of the better 6" Delta (37-275x, ~ $580) and comes with built in wheels. Lots of owners are really pleased with it....the one disadvantage might be the extra space the rack and pinion adjustment mechanism takes up. (it pokes out the back another 8" or so).

Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with.

Matt Meiser
05-23-2005, 7:55 AM
I had the JT360 from when it was called the 37-190. It worked well but I recently upgraded to an 8" Yorkcraft from Wilke. I would also look at the Yorkcraft as Scott suggested.

I also know of someone who has a closed stand 6" Jet for sale locally for $300 with a couple extras. I think its still available. PM me if you want details.