PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Pin with Ball Bearings Hardware Kit?

John Poole
07-04-2013, 1:08 PM
Does anyone know of a hardware kit for a ball bearing rolling pin? Top rolling pins have ball bearings and I'd like to make my own rolling pin. I tried Lee Valley, Woodcraft, and Rockler and nothing came up in terms of a hardware kit. Search on the forum came up failed to produce any references to such a kit.

Also, from a design standpoint, is there a shaft that goes from handle to handle through the center of the cylinder as there are in marble rolling pins?

Lastly, any thoughts on stainless steel ball bearings -- what kind/specification and where to buy?

I think a good rolling pin would be a very much welcomed gift -- Williams Sonoma (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/95760/?catalogId=29&bnrid=3120901&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Bakeware&cm_pla=Baking_&_Pastry_Tools&cm_ite=Maple_Rolling_Pin_|_Williams-Sonoma&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=31-178838115-2)has them for $36.

ray hampton
07-04-2013, 6:19 PM
Enco lists steel chrome bearing in their catalog
Lowe also sell the bearing race
my local hardware store also stock the bearing

Matt Day
07-04-2013, 9:50 PM
Any decent bicycle shop will have some good sealed bearings that should work, like 6902's if memory serves.

John Poole
07-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Any decent bicycle shop will have some good sealed bearings that should work, like 6902's if memory serves.

I think the bearings probably should be food grade... since I posted I have found stainless steel bearings where they are rated food safe.

Probably I should dissect my own rolling pin that has bearings and see what was used.

HANK METZ
07-05-2013, 7:04 AM
I've picked up several complete rolling pins at thrift stores and used them for stock support/ roller duty. The bearing seems to be some type of hard plastic, possibly Delrin or some other composition suitable for this use, but the action even under heavy load is near- frictionless, and at the going rate of $2- 3 each is a super bargain.

- Beachside Hank
Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Matt Day
07-05-2013, 7:53 AM
Good call on being food safe. I suppose some grease could leak out of the ones I suggested.

I like the idea of Delrin bushings like Hank suggested. I worked in a bike shop so sorry for suggesting it again, but bike shops have bushings for rear suspension shocks (the eyelets of the shock). They should only cost you a few bucks.

Bruce Wrenn
07-05-2013, 3:32 PM
Reid Industries stocks Derlin bearing that have stainless balls. For me, I would use a Derlin, or nylon sleeve bearing with a stainless steel shaft. For the blank, hard maple would be my first choice. Use two pieces, and before gluing up (waterproof glue like Titebond III), route a center groove for shaft. Turn to shape on lathe, using router as cutter, then bore for Derlin bearing (press fit.) You could glue a couple blocks on ends to give you support for drive spur and tail stock. Another choice would be to make blank longer than needed, and stop groove short of each end. Rough up ends of SS shaft, and epoxy into handles.

Bill ThompsonNM
07-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Or as someone who frequently uses a rolling pin, punt on the bearings all together. My favorite pins, and the only kind I'll buy now after 40+ years of pastry making is heavy, long solid pins with no bearings. The bearings are a gimmick and most of them have flimsy axles so you can't get the pressure you want to make a good pie crust.

Keith Hankins
07-07-2013, 5:36 PM
Or as someone who frequently uses a rolling pin, punt on the bearings all together. My favorite pins, and the only kind I'll buy now after 40+ years of pastry making is heavy, long solid pins with no bearings. The bearings are a gimmick and most of them have flimsy axles so you can't get the pressure you want to make a good pie crust.

What he said :)