PDA

View Full Version : New G0690 ordered

Maurice Arney
07-04-2013, 5:47 AM
Got a 10% off coupon email from Grizzly and wasted no time in ordering my new G0690 table saw. I also ordered the outfeed roller system, mobile base, and a zero clearance insert. My order was shipped the next day and it looks like everything except the saw itself will be here by Friday (the saw is scheduled for delivery by next Thursday the 11th).

Goodbye to my Hitachi C10FL! :)

scott spencer
07-04-2013, 7:09 AM
Congrats! A 10% Grizzly coupon is fairly rare. The G0690 should be a nice upgrade. Treat yourself to a nice blade, and please post some pics when it arrives.

glenn bradley
07-04-2013, 8:11 AM
Enjoy your new saw. The 690 is a solid time-proven design and I think you will be very happy with it. Take your time aligning everything as time spent on this task will pay dividends for years to come. Congratulations.

Derrick Lee
07-04-2013, 9:51 AM
Congrats, Maurice, I just got my 690 all aligned and finally put together last night too, except for the magnetic power switch. Waiting on it to arrive as the one that came with my saw is bad. You can slide both rail brackets over a notch to get more rip capacity if you want, just have to drill into the cast iron and the rail brackets, wasn't too hard.

Jim O'Dell
07-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Congrats on the pending 690!!!!! And welcome to the 690/1 club! ;) Depending on if you need/want to have any rip capacity to the left of the blade, you can do as Derrick did and move one slot to the right, or as I did on my 691 and move 2 slots to the right. I'd recommend fabricating a new extension table with either of those options. Scott is right, invest in a good blade and you will be in heaven. Don't know if the current offerings come with a blade or not, mine didn't, so make sure so you can have a regular kerf blade available when you get the saw. I use an Infinity combo blade on my 691. Super smooth cuts. Fair price. Enjoy your new toy, errrrr, tool. Jim.

Maurice Arney
07-11-2013, 9:40 AM
Well my saw arrived today but unfortunately it looked like it fell off the dock somewhere along the line (carton crushed and torn, the saw cabinet was exposed and had been crushed) so I had to refuse delivery. I assumed that all I had to do was contact Grizzly customer service to have a new saw shipped. Not very happy at the moment with the response I got... :mad: Customer service guy said "he doesn't have authority to do that and I'll need to wait for the shipping department to call me and let me know IF they will ship a new one.

Update: Talked to someone higher up and was assured that a new saw would be shipped immediately. I guess it depends on who answers the phone but it seems like some of the Customer Service people at Grizzly just aren't very skilled at Serving Customers.

scott vroom
07-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Customer service guy said "he doesn't have authority to do that and I'll need to wait for the shipping department to call me and let me know IF they will ship a new one.

Update: Talked to someone higher up and was assured that a new saw would be shipped immediately. I guess it depends on who answers the phone but it seems like some of the Customer Service people at Grizzly just aren't very skilled at Serving Customers.

Not sure why you're ripping on Grizzly customer service. I went through the same thing with my planer that was damaged in transit. The first level Griz cust svce guy wasn't authorized to reship immediately which made total sense since they needed some proof of the damaged goods and needed to confirm that with the common carrier. Once that happened, Grizzly shipped a new machine, which arrived before the carrier had returned to retrieve the damaged machine.

Grizzly isn't responsible for damage caused by common carriers, but my experience is that they will re-ship to customers and then pursue a claim with the carriers themselves, saving their customers hours of red tape and grief. I view that as very skilled at Serving Customers.

David Kumm
07-11-2013, 11:20 AM
Are the machines crated? I read a lot here about shipping damage but if it happens enough I would expect some precautions at the seller level. Almost all of my machines, new or used are either crated or packed on an oversize pallet and padded and wrapped. Am not familiar with how Grizzly does it. Dave

Prashun Patel
07-11-2013, 11:25 AM
In my business we have to deal with shipment damages to our customers also. They're more prevalent and costly to the supplier than you'd think. I sympathize therefore with a company that has a policy of reviewing these requests. In my book they did everything right, but perhaps shouldn't have used the word "if"...?

scott vroom
07-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Are the machines crated? I read a lot here about shipping damage but if it happens enough I would expect some precautions at the seller level. Almost all of my machines, new or used are either crated or packed on an oversize pallet and padded and wrapped. Am not familiar with how Grizzly does it. Dave

The 4 large tools I received from Grizzly were well secured to pallets appropriately sized for the tools The crating consisted of 1x2 stick framing with flimsy plywood panels top + 4 sides.

Stronger packing would not have prevented damage to the 2 damaged machines: It was apparent that one machine had been impaled with a forklift fork and the other had clearly been dropped onto it's side which caused the 15" planer posts to bend (the crating stayed intact for the most part). How in God's name does a shipper drop a tool with such force to bend steel, blow it off and still deliver to the customer?

I order a large number of fixtures in my business and, unfortunately, carrier damage is not too uncommon. To Grizzly's credit they will re-ship almost immediately and will not require the customer to duke it out with the carrier.

Maurice Arney
07-11-2013, 4:16 PM
Not sure why you're ripping on Grizzly customer service. I went through the same thing with my planer that was damaged in transit. The first level Griz cust svce guy wasn't authorized to reship immediately which made total sense since they needed some proof of the damaged goods and needed to confirm that with the common carrier. Once that happened, Grizzly shipped a new machine, which arrived before the carrier had returned to retrieve the damaged machine.

Grizzly isn't responsible for damage caused by common carriers, but my experience is that they will re-ship to customers and then pursue a claim with the carriers themselves, saving their customers hours of red tape and grief. I view that as very skilled at Serving Customers.

Not sure why? OK let me explain it to you. Of course it isn't Grizzly's fault. But the job of a "Customer Service" rep as I understand it, is to take calls from customers and resolve issues no? So aside from the fact that the rep was not very personable and sounded like he was annoyed that he had to take another call, he should have assured me that my saw would be replaced. Maybe he could have even put in a bit more effort and explained how Grizzly handles such things?? But instead he basically said he had nothing to do with it and that it would be up to the freight department to decide IF my saw would be replaced. That's not the attitude or response you want to hear when your equipment just arrived in a mangled state.

But let me also say that, in the end, so far my experience with Grizzly service has been outstanding. I had another issue with my band saw and they "bent over backwards" so to speak to make sure that I was satisfied. It is just unfortunate that, on this occasion, my initial contact was with someone who sounded like he really didn't give a hoot.

glenn bradley
07-11-2013, 5:13 PM

Some of the pictures of crate damage I've seen would damage an anvil in a steel cage. My SawStop came packed like you cannot believe. You would be hard pressed to damage it without spearing it with a forklift. Of course, the SS was an order of magnitude more expensive than the Grizzly and that pricing covers that sort of extreme packing.

Back when they first came out and were getting nothing but rave reviews, I ordered a Craftsman Zipcode saw made by Orion (later Steel City). It did indeed arrive in a steel cage inside a crate on a steel pallet and had no damage.

Impressive but, possibly impractical for everything.

scott vroom
07-12-2013, 10:38 AM
Not sure why? OK let me explain it to you. Of course it isn't Grizzly's fault. But the job of a "Customer Service" rep as I understand it, is to take calls from customers and resolve issues no? So aside from the fact that the rep was not very personable and sounded like he was annoyed that he had to take another call, he should have assured me that my saw would be replaced.

In your own words: "Customer service guy said he doesn't have authority to do that and I'll need to wait for the shipping department to call me and let me know IF they will ship a new one."

Not sure why your expectation was that "he should have assured me that my saw would be replaced" when he clearly advised you that he didn't have that authority and would have the shipping department call you to work out a resolution, which they apparently did, in your favor.

His demeanor could have been the result of just having had a bad day, or perhaps he was weary of listening to customers whine...hard to say for sure.

Maurice Arney
07-12-2013, 12:13 PM
In your own words: "Customer service guy said he doesn't have authority to do that and I'll need to wait for the shipping department to call me and let me know IF they will ship a new one."

Not sure why your expectation was that "he should have assured me that my saw would be replaced" when he clearly advised you that he didn't have that authority and would have the shipping department call you to work out a resolution, which they apparently did, in your favor.

His demeanor could have been the result of just having had a bad day, or perhaps he was weary of listening to customers whine...hard to say for sure.

Not sure again?? You are totally missing the point and I am starting to think that maybe you are the rep I spoke with. How about if he had said this: "I'm sorry that your equipment arrived damaged. I don't personally have the authority to issue a replacement, but this is how Grizzly usually handles this sort of thing... yada yada yada, and I'm sure that a replacement will be issued just as soon as the freight department gets the necessary information (and if he works in CS but has no idea how Grizzly handles damaged shipments then it sounds like he needs some training. That should be the first thing they tell a customer). Instead of this: I don't have the authority to issue a replacement. You'll have to wait for the freight department to call you back. They will decide if you will get a replacement (Have you noticed that I keep saying IF?)

scott vroom
07-12-2013, 8:00 PM
Not sure again?? You are totally missing the point and I am starting to think that maybe you are the rep I spoke with. How about if he had said this: "I'm sorry that your equipment arrived damaged. I don't personally have the authority to issue a replacement, but this is how Grizzly usually handles this sort of thing... yada yada yada, and I'm sure that a replacement will be issued just as soon as the freight department gets the necessary information (and if he works in CS but has no idea how Grizzly handles damaged shipments then it sounds like he needs some training. That should be the first thing they tell a customer). Instead of this: I don't have the authority to issue a replacement. You'll have to wait for the freight department to call you back. They will decide if you will get a replacement (Have you noticed that I keep saying IF?)

Alright, alright....you got the job, you can start Monday.

Jim Andrew
07-12-2013, 8:45 PM
Guess I'm just the luckiest guy I know, but have not had any problem with anything shipped to me, all my machines have been in excellent condition, whatever company they came from. I used to order appliances delivered by truck to my jobsites, and never had one of those damaged either. Maybe it is just the quality of the truck drivers out here in the plains. When I got my shaper and planer, they were tied to the inside of the truck, so they could not move around. And all the trucking companies have been good. The machines from Grizzly have varied from plywood boxes on wood pallets to cardboard on wood pallets, but the machines have been well fastened to the pallets so they could not shift off the pallet, only one had another pallet fastened under it by the trucking company to keep it solid.

Maurice Arney
07-12-2013, 8:48 PM
Alright, alright....you got the job, you can start Monday.

I have no idea what that means but ya I'm certain that I would do a much better job of dealing with customers. I admit that rude or incompetent customer service is kind of a "pet peeve" of mine. It's like the time I went into a department store and asked someone where the automotive section was to which he replied "the same place it has always been." I shrugged that one off thinking the guy just dumb. But the ones that act like you are a nuisance and truly don't give a rats ass about helping you out really tick me off.

Maurice Arney
07-13-2013, 7:12 AM
Since that unfortunate exchange brought undue attention to one minor annoyance, I feel I need to reiterate how impressed I am in general with both the quality of the machines I have bought from Grizzly as well as their commitment to customer satisfaction. I've placed four orders with them since March (all except the table saw have arrived quickly and in perfect condition) and currently have several more items in my "wish list." At this point I intend to outfit my new shop entirely with Grizzly power tools. I guess if I had one complaint it would be that they might want to pay a bit more attention to the people that take phone calls. Of course it could be just one person and I've been unlucky enough to get the same guy on more than one occasion, but he certainly does not reflect the company's attitude or philosophy.

scott vroom
07-13-2013, 1:29 PM
Since that unfortunate exchange brought undue attention to one minor annoyance, I feel I need to reiterate how impressed I am in general with both the quality of the machines I have bought from Grizzly as well as their commitment to customer satisfaction. I've placed four orders with them since March (all except the table saw have arrived quickly and in perfect condition) and currently have several more items in my "wish list." At this point I intend to outfit my new shop entirely with Grizzly power tools. I guess if I had one complaint it would be that they might want to pay a bit more attention to the people that take phone calls. Of course it could be just one person and I've been unlucky enough to get the same guy on more than one occasion, but he certainly does not reflect the company's attitude or philosophy.

I've got 4 big Grizzly machines in my shop, ordered about 4 years ago. I've been very pleased and will likely continue purchasing Grizzly as I expand my tool set. I believe Grizzly has hit the sweet spot for value and performance. I looked at brands X, Y and Z (ain't gonna start a tool brand range war here), but concluded that those tools were selling at a premium due in large part to their brand loyalty and not necessarily because they are better quality than Grizzly.

Good luck with your new tools!

Maurice Arney
07-13-2013, 2:56 PM
I believe Grizzly has hit the sweet spot for value and performance. I looked at brands X, Y and Z (ain't gonna start a tool brand range war here), but concluded that those tools were selling at a premium due in large part to their brand loyalty and not necessarily because they are better quality than Grizzly. Good luck with your new tools!

Thanks... I totally agree!

Bill White
07-14-2013, 12:23 PM
My Grizz story: Ordered the G1067Z lathe. Got it. Put it together, and everything was fine (as expected). Picked up all the packaging to take to the dumpster, tripped and fell, fractured 2 verts. in the back (non-displaced fractures), stayed in a strap on back splint for almost 6 months. Couldn't figger out a way to call in a claim on my being clumsy. BTW, the lathe is still workin' like new. I'm not.

David C. Roseman
07-15-2013, 11:46 AM
My Grizz story: Ordered the G1067Z lathe. Got it. Put it together, and everything was fine (as expected). Picked up all the packaging to take to the dumpster, tripped and fell, fractured 2 verts. in the back (non-displaced fractures), stayed in a strap on back splint for almost 6 months. Couldn't figger out a way to call in a claim on my being clumsy. BTW, the lathe is still workin' like new. I'm not.

Ouch! Not your typical woodworking injury!

David