PDA

View Full Version : It came in three bags

steven c newman
07-04-2013, 12:33 AM
and cost $6.99! 265756Here is the first two.265757one more to go265758Well, well, hello Handsome! Stanley Defiance #4. Just a might nasty:eek:Every thing was rusty, crusty, or dirty. Spent about an hour to clean things up a bit265767265768265769Even got the iron nice and sharp! This one came yesterday, another plane arrived today ( 3 JUL 13) in a single baggie, wrapped up in Newspapers. It was almost the same era265770265771This was after a clean up, new paint on the lever cap. Iron was flattened, and sharpened up. Since these pictures both planes have had their handles stripped of the old nasty finish. Now down to bare wood ( almost) they are now awaiting the drying of the single coat of BLO.

steven c newman
07-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Weeeelll, I finally found the "Before" pictures of the Mohawk-Shelburne/Millers Falls #900. 265786265787265788265789Handsome, ain't it? Got the handles of both planes stripped down, and a coat of Smelly BLO applied to them265790265791 I didn't find any traces of paint on the Defiance's lever cap. Were they painted or left bare?

Jim Koepke
07-04-2013, 1:59 PM
My recollection of the one to come my way was that it was bare.

jtk

Winton Applegate
07-04-2013, 4:05 PM
Good Job !
Hey if you like restoring old rusty iron that is rusty and has some rust on it and repainting stuff. . .
. . . Just wait till you discover old British cars . . .
You are gonna be in HOG HEAVEN ! ! ! !

Bill Houghton
07-04-2013, 8:48 PM
Good Job !
Hey if you like restoring old rusty iron that is rusty and has some rust on it and repainting stuff. . .
. . . Just wait till you discover old British cars . . .
You are gonna be in HOG HEAVEN ! ! ! !

And, with old British cars, you get the added benefits of oil leaks on the garage floor and vague electrical problems that can keep you entertained for hours.

steven c newman
07-06-2013, 12:07 PM
Dad had a friend that had a little Triumph MGB Ragtop. Dad was a mechanic, and HATED to see that little POS drive up his driveway. "Now What's wrong?"

I'll stick to planes and handsaws. Just spent half the morning cleaning up three saw plates. Three saws that cost a combined $.75. One looks like a Disston "Rancher"? Has a just barely readable Keystone etch. Second one is a Atkins/Pheonix/Plymouth Rock crosscut. with all brass bolts. Thrird plate seems to be a "rip" cut generic saw. Tote doesn't match the plate, not even bolts for it, anyway. Might be a "Townsman".....?

Pictures later, things are still drying off...

Chris Hachet
07-07-2013, 10:30 AM
And, with old British cars, you get the added benefits of oil leaks on the garage floor and vague electrical problems that can keep you entertained for hours.
Perhaps this is why I switched from restoring old cars to woodworking as a pastime...

Jim Koepke
07-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Seem to recall British cars have three settings for their headlights, off, dim and flicker...

jtk

Bill Houghton
07-07-2013, 1:47 PM
Dad had a friend that had a little Triumph MGB Ragtop...

That must have been some car, since Triumph and MG were different brands. That's kind of like talking about a Buick Oldsmobile; or, before the merger of the holding companies that owned both brands, like talking about a Ford Chevrolet.

Except, of course, that both leaked oil and had the famous Lucas electrics.

steven c newman
07-07-2013, 2:13 PM
Friend never learned, and had BOTh of them. Which one showed up at Dad's, was determined by how much the friend wanted to drive THAT car that next week...

Then he went out and traded for a Merc, Cougar !966 I think. Looked like a Ford "Twang" just fancier trim work. Seats still SUCKED.

Both planes that came in the bags are now up and making shavings. have stripped the tote on the Mohawk-Shelburne almost to bare wood. Recoated with BLO.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-07-2013, 9:40 PM
or, before the merger of the holding companies that owned both brands, like talking about a Ford Chevrolet.

Didn't realize this - haven't been able to confirm it - the stock holding info I've found online doesn't bear it out. Interesting though. At the sake of derailing things further, got any more info?

Greg Wease
07-07-2013, 9:54 PM
I think Triumph (Leyland) and MG et. al. (British Motor Holdings, BMH) were joined as British Leyland Motor Corp. (BLMC) in the 1970s.

steven c newman
07-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Not sure IF that was true about the drivers of these cars.....

As for the baggie items266009This is the Defiance, all cleaned up. As for the other baggie item266010Mohawk-Shelburne iron is now sharp, has a replacement chipbreaker. Handles are no longer an ugly black painted mess. I think this was made just before Millers Falls end the M-S line, and started the #900 series. Wood "test bed" is some old Barn wood QSWO. About all i get off of this board is ribbons, not sure why...

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-07-2013, 10:18 PM
I think Triumph (Leyland) and MG et. al. (British Motor Holdings, BMH) were joined as British Leyland Motor Corp. (BLMC) in the 1970s.

Oh - I thought he was saying Ford and Chevy were joined, which is what confused me!

The plane is looking good, Steven - are you cycling some of these out? The "baggie" one appeals to me more than the Defiance, at least visually. You must have the largest collection of off-brand-iron in the state by now!

steven c newman
07-07-2013, 10:26 PM
I just "cycled" five planes out last week. Seem to collect Millers Falls ones now adays. The Defiance one I like. Both of the "baggies" are a bit on the "fussy" side. Have a Dunlap with a York Pitch frog, a Wards Master #4 and a few of the Millers falls products. Largest of the planes is a rebuilt DE6c. Followed by a "Parts Plane" #5. There is a decent 5-1/4266015 and a Corsair C-5 that is a scrub plane in a #5 size. It did a lot of work, doing four legs last week. I tapered four walnut legs for a Dining room table, tapering two faces. It hogged most of the waste, then a few other planes to smooth things out.

Total census as of today 18 planes. Counting three block planes, a Wards #78 clone, and a Windsor #33 Scrub plane. Till is full, though...