PDA

View Full Version : Salt Box and Pepper Mill

Greg Just
07-03-2013, 9:33 AM
Here is a commissioned Claro Walnut Salt Box and Pepper Mill that is to be given to a Doctor upon his retirement next month. Apparently he is a fine cook. The Pepper Mill stands 7 1/2 inches tall and the Salt Box is about 4 inches tall and 3 1/2 inches in diameter. The Salt Box lid swivels on a pin and is held closed with 2 rare earth magnets. The Pepper Mill has a Crush Grind mechanism. It was a fun project

Jim Burr
07-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Those look great Greg...cool gift!

Adam Blanton
07-03-2013, 10:54 AM
Greg, looks awesome.

I had a question about the pin the lid of the salt box pivots on, how do you keep the lid attached to the base? Does one of the magnets keep them together if it's lifted by the lid while it's open?

Greg Just
07-03-2013, 5:25 PM
Greg, looks awesome.

I had a question about the pin the lid of the salt box pivots on, how do you keep the lid attached to the base? Does one of the magnets keep them together if it's lifted by the lid while it's open?Adam: The pin is 1/8 inch in diameter and 1 inch long and was purchased at a hardware store with those specialty draws with all kinds of screws and fasteners. I carefully drilled holes in the top and bottom trying to keep the wood grain in alignment. About 2/3 of the pin is in the base and the other 1/3 in the top. Opposite the pin, I drilled out for the magnets. The magnets are not too strong to prevent one from opening the salt box with one hand. I also glued a thin rubber pad on the bottom so the salt box doesn't slide on the counter. Hope this helps.

Jim Burr
07-03-2013, 7:41 PM
Looks like you followed my tutorial to the letter!

Adam Blanton
07-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Very cool! thanks for the info

Jon Lanier
07-04-2013, 12:01 AM
I love the idea of keeping a salt/pepper set together. To me it seems silly for a 'salt mill.' But the Salt Box is a really good idea! Good job on them.

Thom Sturgill
07-04-2013, 12:16 PM
I love the idea of keeping a salt/pepper set together. To me it seems silly for a 'salt mill.' But the Salt Box is a really good idea! Good job on them.

I keep a salt box with kosher salt by the stove for cooking and grind sea salt at the table.... Pepper mills in both locations.

Greg Just
07-04-2013, 10:32 PM
Looks like you followed my tutorial to the letter!I actually followed the December 2011 issue of Woodturning Design article that featured a salt box by Steve Sherman.

Jim Burr
07-05-2013, 11:26 AM
I actually followed the December 2011 issue of Woodturning Design article that featured a salt box by Steve Sherman.

I think they were really close. I have a better method for marking pin and magnet placement and use a different pin.