PDA

View Full Version : Six Tons of Lumber!

Ken Kimbrell
05-22-2005, 8:24 PM
Some may remember me posting <L=HTTP: showthread.php?t="19862" www.sawmillcreek.org></URL><L=HTTP: showthread.php?t="19862" www.sawmillcreek.org></URL>and asking for advice about resawing the lumber that a local sawmill was working up for me.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19862

Well, I just picked it up this past week, all 12,370lbs of it!
The 504 boards (1x6x10') add up to about 2,500bf. And, for those who know about GVW and that kind of stuff, I found out that the load was a bit over the trucks limit after I was able to get it to a scale! (2,720bs):eek:

We took it really easy on the way home and I surely will NOT try a heavy load like that again.
By the way…The Big Dodge Truck didn’t seem to mind at all.:)

Going to get busy tomorrow cutting stickers and get it inside the barn for a while... then the real fun will start.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-22-2005, 8:36 PM
Wow! That is a haul!

From the looks of it, your dodge is way overloaded as well :)

Have fun with it!

Jim Becker
05-22-2005, 9:13 PM
Quite a haul!! Congratulations...that should keep you busy for a few, um...weeks.

John Miliunas
05-22-2005, 9:18 PM
Well now, that would make for a few toothpicks, I would think!:D Yup, quite the haul and good to know that the big 'ol American iron stood up to the task, as well! But like you say, the BIG task is still to come!:eek: Ahhh, but the benefits! Congrats.:) :cool:

Andy London
05-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Great haul.....a braver man than I!

Ken Kimbrell
05-22-2005, 11:06 PM
Great haul.....a braver man than I!

Don't know if I would call it brave... but some other terms do come to mind.:o

Kelly C. Hanna
05-22-2005, 11:34 PM
Great haul is right...whatcha gonna build with it?

Ken Kimbrell
05-23-2005, 6:06 AM
Great haul is right...whatcha gonna build with it?

Kelly, it's going on the house as siding to finish up and match what is already on about half of the wall area.

Andy London
05-23-2005, 7:18 AM
Don't know if I would call it brave... but some other terms do come to mind.:o

I only did a somewhat similar thing, many moons ago. I had around 500 b.f. in the box of my truck and around 1,200 on a tandum trailer, hauling dry hardwoods. I could not find my sway bars before we left to pick it up but the trailer had never really swayed that much so I thought what the heck......I felt many times on that 8 hour drive home I was going to have a heart attack....man the stress from the trailer swaying....never again though:)

scott spencer
05-23-2005, 7:34 AM
"Timber!" :D That's quite a haul Ken....what kind of wood is it?

Ken Kimbrell
05-23-2005, 7:50 AM
"Timber!" :D That's quite a haul Ken....what kind of wood is it?

It's white pine Scott, the sawmill is near Mount Airy, NC so I assume that the logs are from the foothills/mountains close by to the mill.

The house is old (125yrs) and we are trying to match the existing siding that already covers about half of the house. There are lots of products that would last longer and may be easier to deal with but this rough sawn pine comes closest to the original. Hanging it won't be too bad, I have air nailers... but the finish is going to be a different story, even though I'll be using an airless spray rig to apply paint it will be about a year before all the coats of finish are on and that will take working on it several times.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-23-2005, 8:05 AM
Be sure to post a pic or two when you get it done. I think it's better to match what you have and you probably spent a whole lot less than buying a newer product. I prefer wood for siding anyway.

Ken Kimbrell
05-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Be sure to post a pic or two when you get it done. I think it's better to match what you have and you probably spent a whole lot less than buying a newer product. I prefer wood for siding anyway.

"you probably spent a whole lot less"
By a long shot! :D
So far it’s $900.00 for the lumber, so with nails, house wrap, paint and various other odds & ends we expect to be under $2,000.00 total in materials.
Add to that $300.00 for the nail gun equipment (used from a pawn shop) and $2,000.00 for the trailer… but those items will be sold after we get finished with them, so at least some of that money will be recovered.

Of course, one thing you must always remember about an older home is that when you work on them the unexpected is going to happen, so no matter how much you plan for, it will likely cost more.:rolleyes:

Kelly C. Hanna
05-23-2005, 3:14 PM
Yessir...just like old cars....

Brian Hale
05-23-2005, 4:31 PM
Nice bundle of sticks you got there Ken, Congrats!!

I'm sure the Dodge/CTD had no problem draggin that load. Nothing beats Torque!!!

Brian

Ken Kimbrell
05-23-2005, 7:07 PM
Nice bundle of sticks you got there Ken, Congrats!!

I'm sure the Dodge/CTD had no problem draggin that load. Nothing beats Torque!!!

Brian

Brian, when I discovered how heavy the load was it scared the mess out of me, but as you say the CTD did not seem to mind at all, ran cool all the while.
The overdrive feature on the auto tranny was turned off for the pull and it only downshifted on four of the really steep hills and then it only went down one gear, it has been used on big loads before, but never on any that were anywhere near this heavy... I was impressed.

John Shuk
05-23-2005, 8:18 PM
Getting a load like that to move is one thing. Getting it to stop when you want to is another story. Glad you made it safely home. Looks like you have a pretty good haul there.

Ken Kimbrell
05-23-2005, 8:46 PM
Getting a load like that to move is one thing. Getting it to stop when you want to is another story. Glad you made it safely home. Looks like you have a pretty good haul there.

John, you are absolutely correct!
Not to worry though, the folks who owned the trailer before me did not use the brakes at all, in fact the wires had been cut so that they could not work. My son had one of his tech’s rewire the whole trailer and we discovered that the trailer brake system was in an almost ‘like new’ condition.

After the trailer had the load of pine boards onboard I tried it using just the trailer brakes and found that it had some Really Serious stopping power. After adjusting for the balance between the Dodge and the trailer the stopping was smooth and easy all the way home.