PDA

View Full Version : A Crisis in my Woodshop

dennis thompson
07-03-2013, 6:27 AM
I discovered some rot of about 4" x 4" in the back door to my garage/shop. I called the home repair guy I use & he said $1200 for a new door, so I decided to fix it. I buy some mold killer (I assume that's what caused the rot), some wood hardener & some wood filler. Take down the door, remove the rot,put in the mold killer, wait for it to dry, put in some wood hardener & wait for it to dry. Now I mix up the wood filler,( it hardens in 15 minutes) & I look for my favorite putty knife to stuff the filler in the hole. I can't find my favorite putty knife! After a frantic & fruitless search for my favorite putty knife, I use another putty knife (which I don't like at all), and fill the hole. Now this crisis has two dimensions:1-where is my favorite putty knife? 2- how can a person have a favorite putty knife? Well I can't write any more I have to go into my shop & look for my favorite putty knife.

Jim Matthews
07-03-2013, 6:30 AM
Do you have any recently repaired spots that rattle when the wind blows?

I found a hammer under our front stairs, when replacing the treads.
It was about eight feet back from the first stair.

Frank Trinkle
07-03-2013, 6:47 AM
I spent 25 minutes yesterday looking for my glasses that I had just put down to take couple of pictures. How the hell does that happen?

I have made an important discovery though...and I'll be submitting it for peer review by the world's scientists.

One of the great mysteries is how we always lose socks during the wash. You can be a careful as possible, but it just seems that no matter what you do, you end up with singles. Well...I have discovered why.
In studying caterpillars and butterflies and the cocooning process, I discovered that some socks sneak out of the washing machine, and cocoon behind your machines. After a few months, they emerge as wire hangars. That's why you always have more of them than you can remember having. Mystery solved!

Cheers...and good luck finding your putty knife.

Charles Wiggins
07-03-2013, 8:47 AM
1-where is my favorite putty knife?
Do you have kids?

2- how can a person have a favorite putty knife?
We respond to a vast array of sensory experiences that few of us take time to acknowledge. It is most likely a combination of factors such as the appearance, they way it fits your hand, the ease of use, which could break down into a number of factors like how easy it is to manipulate and how evenly it spreads the material, how easily the material releases from the blade, and something a little less tangible like the fact that jobs get done faster and more easily when you use it, as opposed to other ones that you've used.

Prashun Patel
07-03-2013, 9:22 AM
"After a few months, they emerge as wire hangars. That's why you always have more of them than you can remember having. Mystery solved!"

You should sell that joke to a stand up comedian. Nicely done.

Biff Johnson
07-03-2013, 11:51 AM
I, too have a favorite putty knife. Now that I know I'm not alone, I will admit it.

Why do I keep the other putty knives around? I only use "Baby" because she has the perfect amount of spring, a keen edge and a handle with the curves in just the right places. The other knives are cold and stiff. Putting one of them in my hand is akin to holding an icicle.

Oh, putty knife. You help me spread. You help me dig. You are flat as a board but you bend to my will. I hope we never part, Baby. I promise never to use you as impromptu chisel or to open a paint can. Baby the Putty Knife, love is thy name.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2013, 11:52 AM
It happens to me all the time! Somebody breaks into my shop...........steals my putty knife.....and leaves all the power tools.

I'll never understand why....

Jim Rimmer
07-03-2013, 12:50 PM
I have often stood in my shop with a hammer in my hand while I look and look for my favorite hammer.

Jim Rimmer
07-03-2013, 12:52 PM
I spent 25 minutes yesterday looking for my glasses that I had just put down to take couple of pictures. How the hell does that happen?

After the frantic search I usually find mine on top of my head. :)

Mike Cutler
07-03-2013, 12:58 PM
After the frantic search I usually find mine on top of my head. :)

Okay, since you admitted it first,,,,,,,, me too. :eek:
What's really embarrassing is asking your wife, with perfect vision, if she's seen them, and she says "yes",and then starts laughing. :o

Roger Newby
07-03-2013, 1:27 PM
I, too have a favorite putty knife. Now that I know I'm not alone, I will admit it.

Why do I keep the other putty knives around? I only use "Baby" because she has the perfect amount of spring, a keen edge and a handle with the curves in just the right places. The other knives are cold and stiff. Putting one of them in my hand is akin to holding an icicle.

Oh, putty knife. You help me spread. You help me dig. You are flat as a board but you bend to my will. I hope we never part, Baby. I promise never to use you as impromptu chisel or to open a paint can. Baby the Putty Knife, love is thy name.

There is probably a self help group you can join.

John McClanahan
07-03-2013, 11:21 PM
This can become a problem. I have plenty of (read: too many) screwdrivers, pliers, tape measures, hammers and yes, putty knives. I will walk past two or three tape measures to grab my favorite. I will dig through a dozen or more screwdrivers to get the "right" one. I reach for my old wooden handle hammer while newer ones hang next to it. Yet I insist on keeping all the rest as backups!

John

Rick Potter
07-04-2013, 2:52 AM
When you find the putty knife, ask it if its seen my tape measure.

Rick P

dennis thompson
07-04-2013, 8:40 AM
Well guys, I've decided to do the only thing that assures I will find my putty knife.......I'm going to buy a new one and without question, the old one will show up as I'm taking the new one out of its package

David Epperson
07-04-2013, 10:13 AM
When you find the putty knife, ask it if its seen my tape measure. Rick P Let me know if that works, as I haven't seen ALL of my marbles in a while. There is a very scientific reason that things are ALWAYS in the last place you look. Very few people continue to search for things AFTER they have found them.

John Coloccia
07-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Robert Benedetto stole his dad's putty knife and used it as the iron in a carving plane he made...which he still uses. Robert has since become a truly legendary builder of arch top guitars. I'm sure his father, a cabinet maker himself, was very proud of Bob, but I can't help but think that he went to his grave wondering whatever happened to his favorite putty knife.

Jim Koepke
07-04-2013, 3:31 PM
A couple of my putty knives fall into my favorite category depending on the particular use.

They usually go missing when the wife had something that she thought could be done with a putty knife. She seldom puts them back where she found them.

Very few people continue to search for things AFTER they have found them.

I am one of the very few. Usually by the time the original object of my search is found, parts of other things have me looking for the rest of them.

jtk

John Hays
07-04-2013, 6:59 PM
Well guys, I've decided to do the only thing that assures I will find my putty knife.......I'm going to buy a new one and without question, the old one will show up as I'm taking the new one out of its package

Yeah, I tried that trick when I lost my favorite putty knife about a year ago... it didn't work and now I'm stuck using a POS that cost me twice as much. The worst part is that Hyde doesn't even make the model I had anymore. :(

Don Morris
07-05-2013, 4:03 PM
I got news for ya. It gets worse as you get older. I have found that out through experience. Lots of experience. Ages of it. More things will disappear for a short time. It starts out with the putty knife, then progresses to other items, like glasses, keys, favorite screwdriver, the note you left for yourself so you wouldn't forget...etc. The best thing you can do is develop an attitude of graceful acceptance.

David Epperson
07-05-2013, 11:08 PM
I got news for ya. It gets worse as you get older. I have found that out through experience. Lots of experience. Ages of it. More things will disappear for a short time. It starts out with the putty knife, then progresses to other items, like glasses, keys, favorite screwdriver, the note you left for yourself so you wouldn't forget...etc. The best thing you can do is develop an attitude of graceful acceptance.
And Lord help, don't decide to put them up in that "Special Safe Place". As you will then never see them again. I have a lot of things that have ended up there. And If I ever remember where "There" is I'd be rich.