PDA

View Full Version : basement/shop remodel: walls

Todd Davidson
05-22-2005, 8:13 PM
Given the rain today Kim and I were unable to install a drink rail at a local baseball stadium so we finished framing most of the walls. Salvaged a couple doors (and a 16' corian counter top - did have to cut the counter into a 10' and a 6' section in order to get it in the van - will make a good work surface at some point) from a bank renovation I'm doing. Next weekend will be the last little bit of framing, installing those doors and a couple others, and sheathing the walls (we're still unsure exactly what we're going to use - mostly pegboard, and a few sheets of T1-11 or something similar I guess). Thanks for checking it out.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-22-2005, 8:37 PM
It sure is looking great! You are going to have a great space.

Congrats on the corian haul! :)

John Dingman
05-22-2005, 9:45 PM
Todd,

Looks like a very nice space. You have that lit up pretty good. I really like the 7/16's OSB for the shop walls. Since you said you were undecided I thought I would throw a suggestion your way. I am going to paint my basement shop this Thursday, and add a few more lights. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

John

Richard Wolf
05-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Todd, it looks like you and Kim are making good headway on the shop. I was wondering if you have easy excess to the outside, like maybe a set of Bilco doors, or whats your plan for getting the big stuff out?

Richard

Corey Hallagan
05-22-2005, 10:40 PM
Really looking good Todd! Keepem coming!

Corey

John Miliunas
05-23-2005, 8:08 AM
Todd, looks to me like you're going to have yourself a real nice working area down there!:) Ceiling even looks to be of decent height for a basement area. Keep us posted on progress...It's always so much fun to see these shops evolve!:) :cool:

Todd Davidson
05-24-2005, 6:12 PM
Hi John D~
After seeing your shop pics I like the OSB. Do need to sheath about half of the exterior walls with pegboard (which we'll paint white) to allow the concrete to "breathe". Will be hanging drywall in a couple areas as well.

Hi Richard~
The door in the pics (which is 4'X7') leads to 6 steps to the hatchway to the outside. Thus far I haven't had much trouble getting things in or out.

Hi John M~
Kim and I are much more pleased with the layout we've come up with as opposed to the layout that existed when we bought the house (from the widow of a cabinet maker/woodworker). Ceiling height is about 7 1/2'. As we don't want to lose even an inch of height we're not going to sheath the ceiling (although 2" foam board insulation will probably be installed between the joists)

Will post another update and pictures next weekend. Hopefully the remaining framing will be completed, the lolly column removed, and some sheathing up.

Thanks to all who commented on our progress. In peace, Todd & Kim

Bill Lewis
05-25-2005, 7:38 AM
Todd, Home depot has white pegboard. No need to paint it. If you can't find white pegboard for some reason, you'll likely have to prime it first. That hardboard doesn't take paint too well.

One down side to peboard for wall covering, is that the studs behind will block the holes, and invaribly it's in a place that you want to put a hook. That's why pegboard is typically hung with standoffs.

walter stellwagen
05-25-2005, 12:12 PM
you might look into garage wall (slotwall) lots of fixtures etc
www.shultestorage.com

Walt

Roger Fitzsimonds
05-25-2005, 1:46 PM
Hi Todd,

Great progress. I used osb on the bottom half and peg board on the top half in my shop. Just something else to consider.

Roger

Todd Davidson
05-25-2005, 6:32 PM
Hi Bill~
Unfortunately the white pegboard at HD is 3/16 and is $13.00 a sheet. The brown is 5/16 and is $8.00 a sheet. A slight scuffing and pegboard takes paint pretty well - especially Kilz (which I happen to have a bunch left over from a fire rehab job). I intend to run some furring strips before I attach the peg board so I don't lose too many holes.

Hi Walter~
Thanks for the link. Will check the site out tonight.

Bill Lewis
05-26-2005, 7:13 AM
Todd, sounds like you've covered all your bases.

I didn't realize that the brown PB was that much thicker than the white. I only needed one sheet for my shop. I haven't looked at the brown ones in years since they came out with white.