PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizing an office chair

Brian Kent
07-02-2013, 7:15 PM
Mom comes home from rehab soon, after having her hip replaced.
Her most comfortable chair is actually an office chair on casters, but for now we need to keep it from rolling.

Would rubber furniture cups keep it from rolling? Is there a better way to do this? The current casters are not locking.

Thank you all.

Brian Kent

Larry Frank
07-02-2013, 8:12 PM
I have had a hip replacement and 7 years later a revision to worn replace parts.

NO..do not let her use the chair and only let her use a chair with 4 very stable legs. Make certain that she does not fall, trip or anything else and follow the doctors and others instructions.

Why...falling, twisting or getting up wrong or a bunch of other things could cause her to dislocate the hip. Believe me that is the last thing that she would want to happen. I dislocated my hip after the second surgery on the hip and it was the worst pain that I have ever had. I will not go into the details but trust me that you do not want to go there.

I know that there will be temptation to do too much and she might get away with it but the risks are way to great.

Give it some time and gradually increase what she is doing and follow what the physical therapist tells her.

My hip is fine now and is almost like a real one except for security at the airport and having to take antibiotics before going to the dentist.

Good luck to you mom.

Brian Kent
07-02-2013, 9:14 PM
Thank you Larry for advice from experience.