PDA

View Full Version : New Revised Switch on Delta Midi's?

Brian Kent
07-02-2013, 4:18 PM
I shoulda taken a picture.

Yesterday I stopped in at Rockler's and they had a switch assembly that looked different. I hope that means they are replacing the trouble prone switch with a new, improved version. I also hope they send a new, improved version to the shop that is replacing my switch.

The Delta Machinery website shows the old switch on the lathe. Has anyone else seen a new one?

Brian Kent
07-02-2013, 4:24 PM
I am still asking the question, but I may have just seen the switch on a floor model from several years ago. They could have a several-year-old floor model at Rockler's San Diego.

Thom Sturgill
07-02-2013, 5:47 PM
Not sure if your system had the new or old switch, but they did recently change the switch. Our club has one that fell off a trailer last fall and has been in the shop for months. They have all the parts except the switch and the new one does not fit to replace the old one. We are asking the repair shop to maybe mount a remote one instead.

Brian Kent
07-02-2013, 6:23 PM
Mine was purchased in March 2012, whichever switch that would be.

Thom Sturgill
07-02-2013, 7:13 PM
Go to Delta's page - the new switch is the larger of the two with the side of the switch visible from the tail stock. Ours was smaller, inset into the headstock such that the side of the switch was not visible.

Based on timing, I would guess that the old switch was from the old Delta and the new company modified it when they took over manufacturing and finished assembling whatever parts they inherited. B&D (the old Delta) may be out of stock on parts and depending on the wording of their contract with the new Delta, may not have to procure more. I don't know where that would leave owners....

Brian Kent
07-02-2013, 7:42 PM
Then yes, I have the newer one and what I saw was the older one. If Delta does not come through from the service center I'll ask them to do some other kind.

Roger Chandler
07-02-2013, 9:23 PM
My 46-460 was purchased earlier this year........it has a different color switch handle on it than most pics I have seen. Most are a red color.......the switch handle on mine is more of a wine or burgundy color..........don't know if that is the way they are doing the newer switches or not, but my lathe came from CSUSA on the deal with the stand.......so I believe it to be this year's model.

Brian Kent
07-05-2013, 5:44 PM
Four weeks without a lathe. Nice guy at the authorized repair center, but Delta has taken 4 weeks so far and he has not received the replacement switch.

Brian Kent
07-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Here is the switch that I had seen. This is the Toolbarn website. I wonder if this a very old picture or a brand new one:
http://www.toolbarn.com/delta-46-460.html

Roger Chandler
07-07-2013, 12:08 AM
Here is the switch that I had seen. This is the Toolbarn website. I wonder if this a very old picture or a brand new one:

That is different than the switch on my 46-460 also.........my switch handle comes off the inside of the inverter and headstock........the pic you reference shows it coming off the very back of the inverter........not sure which is newer? :confused:

Jon Prouty
07-07-2013, 2:02 AM

This is the original version.... I actually have two of these lathes and need reverse switches for both. I called Delta last week about an alternative as they are still out of stock and no expected date of availability - still waiting on my call back from tech services. I see version 2 with the on/off switch on more on the side of the unit and that reverse switch is in stock but I don't want to order it without verification that it is a true replacement for the ones in my lathes.

Jon

Curt Harms
07-07-2013, 6:36 AM
Then yes, I have the newer one and what I saw was the older one. If Delta does not come through from the service center I'll ask them to do some other kind.

I was in a Delta/Porter Cable/DeWalt/Black&Decker service center in Allentown, PA. a few weeks ago. There was a sign on the front counter. I think the dates were:

- we will not accept any Delta product for repair after June 1.
- we will not order any Delta parts after June 15.

I sure hope the New Delta has their parts and repair ducks in a row.

Brian Kent
07-07-2013, 10:34 AM
And Curt, one of the two local service centers has stopped repairing Delta products.

Brian Kent
07-13-2013, 12:51 AM
Five weeks and counting.

Billy Tallant
07-14-2013, 9:44 AM
Interesting post... I just picked up a used Delta 46-460 a couple of weeks back. After looking at the messages here, it appears that I have the new revised switch.

Brian Kent
07-14-2013, 4:58 PM
Well good, Billy. My hope is that Delta finds a good fix, gives good service once again, and recovers their reputation of making one of the top choices for a midi lathe.

Brian Kent
07-20-2013, 12:11 PM
6 weeks and counting.

Dan Masshardt
07-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Everybody seems to have heard a different explanation of why delta isn't servicing these.

It's really a shame because its otherwise a great lathe. But after hearing too many of these service issues and an uncertain future, I did not even really consider the 46-460 when I just bought the Jet 1221.

Brian Kent
07-20-2013, 1:34 PM
I hear you, Dan.

I just wrote the following to Delta Customer Care:

Dear Delta Customer Care,

You have a big problem with a simple solution.

1) The Delta 46-460 is a great lathe, and used to be almost universally recommended for a midi.
2) A very large percentage are experiencing the switch problems, and is a hot topic on major wood-working forums.
3) Your non-response to the problem is sending buyers to the Jet 1221, which is just slightly ahead of the Delta in features.

You can either get this one little detail about switches worked out or lose a lot of bucks.

For reference, you have a problem with on-off switched, forward-reverse, and speed control. I currently have had my Delta 46-460 in an authorized service center - Tool Mart in Escondido, CA - for 6 weeks, with no confidence that help will come soon. When it is fixed, will I then have a problem with speed control and forward-reverse?

With such a great product otherwise, you really need to get your controls improved and your supply line fixed. I will post your response or non-response on Sawmillcreek.org (http://sawmillcreek.org/) woodworking forum.

Sincerely,

Brian Kent
revbriankent@att.net

Mike Goetzke
07-20-2013, 2:58 PM
I hear you, Dan.

I just wrote the following to Delta Customer Care:

Dear Delta Customer Care,

You have a big problem with a simple solution.

1) The Delta 46-460 is a great lathe, and used to be almost universally recommended for a midi.
2) A very large percentage are experiencing the switch problems, and is a hot topic on major wood-working forums.
3) Your non-response to the problem is sending buyers to the Jet 1221, which is just slightly ahead of the Delta in features.

You can either get this one little detail about switches worked out or lose a lot of bucks.

For reference, you have a problem with on-off switched, forward-reverse, and speed control. I currently have had my Delta 46-460 in an authorized service center - Tool Mart in Escondido, CA - for 6 weeks, with no confidence that help will come soon. When it is fixed, will I then have a problem with speed control and forward-reverse?

With such a great product otherwise, you really need to get your controls improved and your supply line fixed. I will post your response or non-response on Sawmillcreek.org (http://sawmillcreek.org/) woodworking forum.

Sincerely,

Brian Kent
revbriankent@att.net

Brian - don't know if this will help you but I bought a slightly used 46-460 from a fellow Creeker. I'm pretty sure he included a spare switch "just in case." If you could get me your new part maybe we could work something out???

Mike

Brian Kent
07-20-2013, 3:02 PM
Thank you Mike. Do you want me to tell you my part number?

Mike Goetzke
07-20-2013, 3:10 PM
Can you PM me - I'm running out of the house right now and will check when I get back.

OK - it's just the reversing switch 5140059-11 (but looks like an on/off switch)

Mike

Brian Kent
07-20-2013, 3:31 PM
Thanks. I just broke the on-off. It is probably a good idea for me to get an extra also. Or buy 100 of each and sell them on e-bay :)

James Combs
07-20-2013, 6:59 PM
Brian, could post a closeup photo of the top(actuator) & bottom(connectors) of the switch(s) you need. I would bet a dime to a doughnut that there is a 3rd party replacement out there someplace. I have an electrical/electronics background and have always been able to find replacement switches for my equipment if I could not get one from the OEM. If you can post a few pictures showing the above info and maybe any manufacturer's logo/numbers we might be able to come up with something even better then the OEM. In my experience most switches are pretty stock, yes they may have a special actuator or some other special feature but the actual internal switch is pretty standard. A lot of times the actuator or other special feature can be put onto another standard switch.

Brian Kent
07-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Thank you James. It is in the shop at the moment. If I give up on them later and take it back, I will do what you recommended.

Brian Kent
07-23-2013, 6:14 PM
Delta must not realize the cost of not having on/off switches and forward/reverse switches in their supply chain. They have not responded to customer service e-mails or customer service phone messages. They have not responded to their own Authorized Service Center's repeated phone calls.

And it is just a switch. A $14 retail switch. They are actually losing customers to Jet (1221) by not having switches. That is amazingly silly. That is the stuff of Monty Python. If I had the bucks floating around I would be seriously considering an upgrade to a bigger lathe, for lack of a switch for my 46-460, which I like very much, otherwise.

So I went for the Nuclear Option.
1) I posted several messages on the Delta Machinery Facebook Page, ranging from kind to annoyed.
2) I filed a Better Business Bureau complaint, stating that all I wanted for a resolution was a new lathe or a new on/off switch, in accordance with the Delta warrantee.
3) I sent a personal "Express Mail / needs a signature" letter to Bryan Whiffen, CEO of Delta Power Equipment Corporation, very humbly requesting a solution for me and for others who are having problems with their Delta 46-460 switches.

In other non-nuclear options today, I called the very friendly people at the Authorized Service Center (who have many Delta parts back ordered) and asked them to use high pressure air to clean the switch and to ask their technician to recommend a different kind of switch, as suggested by many in this thread.

charlie knighton
07-23-2013, 7:22 PM
Brain, you will not believe how much pleasure it is to turn on a light switch to power the lathe up, on top of that the light switch is very robust, and you can send a halloween card to delta

Brian Kent
07-23-2013, 7:40 PM
Charlie, this is the last round before I take the lathe out of the shop and arrange my own fix.

Jon Prouty
07-23-2013, 9:16 PM
Please let us know how it goes. I've had my call into Delta service for over two weeks waiting on a response. Both my Delta 46-460 lathes are currently for sale (future gloat pending successful pickup of paid for lathe).

Brian Kent
07-24-2013, 1:03 AM
Jon, I celebrate in advance for your future gloat!

Brian Kent
07-24-2013, 10:16 AM
I told Delta service that I would post their response. Here goes:

Brian,
Thank you for contacting Delta. I checked with our tech support to ensure the correct part that you are needing and I'm not sure whether your unit is a Type 1 or 2 but both types the switch is discontinued. Again, I wanted to confirm this info with Tech Support to be sure and they did confirm it discontinued. We do apologize for the inconvenience. You may find the switch in supply with www.renovoparts.com (http://www.renovoparts.com/) 248 634 6234 or www.ereplacementparts.com (http://www.ereplacementparts.com/) 866 802 6383.

Dominique
Delta Power Equipment Corporation

My response to their response:

Does your Authorized Service Center have this information and will you still honor your warrantee?

Thank you.

Brian Kent

Brian Kent
07-24-2013, 10:18 AM
My dual purpose right now is to get my lathe working and to be a voice to Delta to get their act together on such an easy subject.

Brian Kent
07-24-2013, 10:39 AM
Next response a few minutes ago:

My supervisor wants to know what the serial no. is on your unit and your address and contact info. The part is definitely discontinued with us but she thinks she knows where she may be able to at least locate one. Once you send me the info I will give it to her.

Dominique
Delta Power Equipment Corporation

Thom Sturgill
07-24-2013, 10:57 AM
...You may find the switch in supply with www.renovoparts.com (http://www.renovoparts.com/) 248 634 6234 or www.ereplacementparts.com (http://www.ereplacementparts.com/) 866 802 6383.

Neither of those are any help, at least from their websites.

Prashun Patel
07-24-2013, 11:24 AM
FWIW, I bought mine from M and D Mower supply last July (www.m-and-d.com)

DL-5140059-11 REVERSING SWITCH

It took several weeks, but I did get the switch. I have not yet installed it because my current one works.

James Combs
07-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Just so everyone is on the same page while we watch this thread: Which of these is the On/Off switch in question(or maybe neither)? In both of these cases the Fwd/Rev switch appears very similar.

Switch A

or Switch B

Thom Sturgill
07-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Just so everyone is on the same page while we watch this thread: Which of these is the On/Off switch in question(or maybe neither)? In both of these cases the Fwd/Rev switch appears very similar.

Switch A

or Switch B

Switch A is the current model shown on their site, but the info Brian got indicated that there are TWO discontinued switches.

Brian Kent
07-24-2013, 12:25 PM
MIne is Switch A.

Brian Kent
07-27-2013, 5:54 PM
End of week 7.

If I do my own work-around I will void the rest of my Five year warrantee. I want the warrantee in place in case of any bigger problems in the next 4 years.

DELTA will not be responsible for any asserted defect which has resulted from normal wear, misuse, abuse or repair or alteration made or specifically authorized by anyone other than an authorized DELTA service facility or representative.

I have not gotten a reply from two requests for a work-around from the Delta Service Center - Tool Mart in Escondido, CA.

Doug Herzberg
07-27-2013, 6:36 PM
Brian, this happened to me with a low-end Delta miter saw and bench top table saw I bought for job site work. Basic parts were discontinued and eventually the entire tool was superseded with a new model. Both were basically good saws. I'm still taking what's left of the table saw on small jobs, but the miter saw got sold as scrap metal. The motor was good and it was still accurate, but I couldn't get a switch.

I have a friend who just got out of law school and is practicing in San Diego. I don't know if her employer would let her take a case on her own, but I think you've been more than reasonable and the company has put you in an impossible situation by being unable to repair the lathe for you and unwilling to let you arrange for repairs on your own. If they're doing this to everyone, it seems like there might be a class of plaintiffs with similar complaints.

You might get the ball rolling by asking them in writing for permission to arrange for repairs or modifications at their expense without voiding the warranty, since their authorized service center has been unable to fix it. If they are unwilling to do that, maybe they should give you a new lathe or refund the purchase price and allow you to get a different lathe. In fact, maybe you should start with asking for a new lathe.

J.D.Redwine
07-27-2013, 7:33 PM
Taking them to Small Claims Court will get their attention.

Brian Kent
07-30-2013, 4:52 PM
Sing with me now,
Halleluia! Halleluia!
Halleluia! Halleluia! Hal-le-e-e-lu-ia!

Lee in Customer Service at Delta just shipped me a switch and gave me a tracking number. As soon as it comes, I will bring it to the Factory Service for them to successfully install, without a hitch, and I will be a happy turner. Today I am an optimistic past-and-future-turner. :D

Glen Blanchard
07-30-2013, 5:08 PM
Brian - Your middle name must be 'Job'! I would not have been nearly as patient.

Congrats.

Fred Belknap
07-30-2013, 6:53 PM
Brian glad you are getting your lathe problem taken care of. If you hadn't rocked the boat a bit I doubt that it would have happened. I hope everyone else that has a similar problem can it it resolved.

Brian Kent
07-30-2013, 10:48 PM
I agree, Fred. I have rocked about as much as I have energy to for now, but nothing is solved for the next person with the same problem.

Dan Masshardt
07-30-2013, 11:42 PM
I agree, Fred. I have rocked about as much as I have energy to for now, but nothing is solved for the next person with the same problem.

They apparently have switches somewhere. Or they had one at least.

Wally Wenzel
07-31-2013, 5:22 PM
why are we not seeing all of the responses Iam very interested as I am having trouble with my 46-460 Wally

Brian Kent
07-31-2013, 5:47 PM
Hi Wally. What kind of trouble are you having and which responses would you like to see. I have 5 pages of my actions and responses and non-responses.

Wally Wenzel
07-31-2013, 7:42 PM
Brian, I am having some trouble with the reverse switch, but am very interested in the outcome of all of this on your lathe. Makes me wonder how good the warrenty is going to be. The last I read they told you it was discontinued so where does that leave all the rest of us? is that all they are going to do? Wally

Brian Kent
07-31-2013, 10:24 PM
Somewhat good news for you Wally. The word I got about the discontinued switch was very specifically about the on/off switch. The forward/reverse switch is still listed as available on the parts page:

http://www.deltamachineryparts.com/shop/46-460-2/

On the diagram it is part #8.3. On the order list it is the last item under #8. Part number DPEC000470, Fwd/rev Switch - Available - $19.50. If you can, I would order it right now in hopes of getting it by next April :D.

Brian Kent
07-31-2013, 10:26 PM
All of the previous answer is if you have a Delta 46-460 Type 2. The forward / reverse switch for type 1 is out of stock. If it is type 1, let me know and I'll share my next round of thoughts.

Jon Prouty
08-01-2013, 4:30 PM
I finally got through to tech support through customer service - took a lot of emails and a number of calls. They also told me that DPEC000470 is the alternate Fwd/rev Switch to the 5140059-11. I am going to order a couple as I have two lathes that are wonky and try them out.

Brian Kent
08-03-2013, 1:39 PM
I just got the Fed-Ex package from Delta. To my great surprise, they sent not only the on/off switch but the entire control unit! The local Delta Factory Service place is expecting me Monday morning so they can officially make the switch.

I will keep the original part. It will be useful not only to harvest for replacement parts, but also to show to my electrical engineering friends to see what generic parts would work as substitutes (so I can pass the info along here at the creek.)

You can take what I am about to say as a word about friendship and not theology if you like. The broken switch experience ended up as sermon illustration last Sunday - go ahead and pray for the little stuff because God can answer directly or can help us care about more important stuff - and a half dozen or more engineers came up between services offering their expertise in finding a suitable replacement or a work around. That's what they do!

So here is the part that was shipped:

Paul Williams
08-03-2013, 6:24 PM
I had a similar experience several years ago. A couple of months after I got my lathe it started having trouble getting started and ran very slow. It was a dirty potentiometer and instead of just replacing I called Delta. They sent me the new pot connected to a new control board. It made replacement very easy. I suspect they do not stock parts for the control, only replacement of major components. Not an uncommon practice today.

Brian Kent
08-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Delta sent a response to the Better Business Bureau complaint today, and I accepted their response. I believe that the BBB complaint helped move the process along.

Also, I ordered an extra forward/reverse switch last week and it is on the way.

Richard Coers
08-06-2013, 1:20 PM
I got my rebate on the 46-460 after making comments on their Facebook page, two days in a row. Looks like they respond to outside influences more than they do to internal customer contact and woodturning forums. Not a good business model in my opinion. Well, not good for Delta, but great for Jet.

Brian Kent
08-07-2013, 4:28 PM
The lathe is fixed. It is in my car, wagging its tail, waiting to get home, and telling me its "on/off" switch will work.

Thom Sturgill
08-07-2013, 5:20 PM
The lathe is fixed. It is in my car, wagging its tail, waiting to get home, and telling me its "on/off" switch will work.

Yeah!! Now get turning again and get some pictures up.

Brian Kent
08-07-2013, 6:25 PM
Thom, it might take me awhile to remember which end of the pointy stick to hold on the spinny thingie.

Thom Sturgill
08-07-2013, 6:32 PM
Nah, it's like riding a bike, pick up the tools and muscle memory takes over....