PDA

View Full Version : Figured Grain Classification???

Calvin Williams
07-01-2013, 10:43 PM
I know we have some wood gurus on here. So, my question is how wood you classify the figure in this Walnut? It has some cool figure in it and was just curious. Thanks!!!!

Brian Tymchak
07-02-2013, 8:03 AM
Well, I'm no guru, but I would call that lightly quilted, with a couple of those pieces getting close to curly at the edge. I don't think I've ever seen quilted walnut though. Very cool indeed! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Mark Bolton
07-02-2013, 8:24 AM
I would agree with Brian but I think at most yards Ive dealt with that would just be called figured or lightly figured. I most often only see walnut broken down into figured-unselected or selected, or figured-crotch.

Calvin Williams
07-02-2013, 8:56 AM
The same here Mark, I have always heard Walnut described as just figured or not. Anyhow, thanks guys!!

John Coloccia
07-02-2013, 9:08 AM
I would refer to that as lightly quilted.

Mark Bolton
07-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Id guess those boards came out of a pretty bushy tree. It seems there is finally a move to sawing more and more bushy walnut (tons of branches) where as for a long time people considered a tree like that junk. At least where I am, for years people looked for walnuts like every other tree, clear, clean, straight, trunks. Probably more sought after now than ever as they are getting more an more rare (high grade clear striaght grain) but thankfully people are begging to return to an appreciation for character, figure, and so on.