PDA

View Full Version : Thien Baffle Leak?

John Hays
07-01-2013, 10:39 PM
I saw something interesting today after installing a little window in my 33 gal. metal trash can. It seems that all of the dust piles up on one side of the can and the other side is nearly empty. Not only that, but there also appears to be more dust in the bag than usual.

I checked the hose connections, but no leaks there. Then I checked the window, no problems there either. Then I checked the lid and there were no visable gaps, although when I made the lid, I routed a channel near the outer rim for the mouth of the can to snug into. I can only guess that the seal in the channel isn't as thight as it should be or maybe I'm experiencing something completely unrelated... anyone have a clue as to what is going on?

I'm using a HFDC and mounted the motor/blower paralel with the ring outlet, like many before me have done, so I know the design works. In fact, I assumed it was working fine for the past 4-5 months that I've been using it, until today.

Phil Thien
07-01-2013, 11:26 PM
Is the channel deep enough to add some weather stripping?

I've also had leaky metal cans, BTW. I have added silicone caulk along the side seam, and the bottom seam, and that has helped.

Jim Neeley
07-02-2013, 2:10 AM
A stick of incense makes a little curl of smoke that's good for checking for leaks. If there's a leak the smoke will be drawn to it.

Sam Stephens
07-02-2013, 11:08 AM
smoke test is the classic vacuum/air leak. will have to remember the incense trick for this. I used weather stripping around the rim of the lid on mine (33g metal can) and that solved my leak problems that were similar to your description. ime, if you can pry the lid off w/ the dc running, you've got a leak. the suction should be much too tight if it's properly sealed.

John Hays
07-02-2013, 1:20 PM
Phil: The channel is about 1/4" wide and 3/4" deep, I have to tap all around the bottom rim of the the lid with a rubber mallet just to get it off, so I only assume it's tight enough. It also never occured to me to check the actual can... I'll give it a once-over to make sure.

Jim: Good point, guess I'll have to plan a trip to the mall.

Sam: As I alluded to above, I can't pull the lid off even when the DC is inactive. But that certainly doesn't mean there's no leak to be found.

I appreciate the advice, everyone. So I suppose my suspicion was correct and there IS a leak somewhere causing the dust to pile up on one side... let the hunt begin! LOL

Jim Neeley
07-03-2013, 7:19 PM
John,

Be selective with your scents, however. Otherwise your neighbors will figure you have either a "house of ill repute" or an opium den instead of a shop!! :-) I usually look for a cedar or spruce scent, myself.

Jim

John Hays
07-04-2013, 6:00 PM
John,

Be selective with your scents, however. Otherwise your neighbors will figure you have either a "house of ill repute" or an opium den instead of a shop!! :-)

My neighbors ARE ill repute, so no worries there, but thanks for the suggestion. ;)

I'm still in the process of investigating the problem. Even though I have the day off, there's no way I'll be able to leave the island today, due to traffic. So, I'm working on some of the french cleat system and pegboard frames in the meantime.

John Hays
07-16-2013, 10:54 AM
----- QUICK UPDATE ----

Well I did some smoke tests this week and found a minor leak around the routed channel in the lid, so I made it a little wider and added some weather stripping, which seemed to do the trick. When I get more time, I'll just make a new lid without the channel.

Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions! :)