PDA

View Full Version : Potential "This Old House" Drinking Game

Dick Latshaw
07-01-2013, 10:23 PM
I had noticed, in the past, when watching episodes of "This Old House", that the participants on the show seemed to say "exactly" a lot. Last Sunday, I counted - someone said "exactly" exactly seventeen times.

"So, Norm, you measured that twice before you cut it?" "Exactly, Kevin."

So next time you watch, line up the shots. Might be fun. (Please don't accuse me of having too much time on my hands. :))

Bob Rufener
07-02-2013, 12:19 AM
I have noticed the same thing. Especially Tom Silva says exactly frequently. You know what I think about Tom Silva. He is exactly a wizard at his craft. He does some amazing things and his ability to solve structural problems is amazing. He is exactly my carpentry hero.

John Coloccia
07-02-2013, 2:23 AM
You should have to chug anytime someone says "muntin" or "escutcheon".

John Pratt
07-02-2013, 8:58 AM
The hosts of the show always say "exactly" and the guest sub-contractors and decorators always say "absolutely".

Jim Matthews
07-02-2013, 9:11 PM
You should have to chug anytime someone says "muntin" or "escutcheon".

You makin' funnada way Massholes tok?
We save on vowels so yinz can stickem in exter places.

Full disclosure - I met Mr. Abram, he was gracious and intelligible when disparaging the charms of Coastal Connecticut.
But I digress...

My favorite is when the show films basement footage and Richard Trethewey looks like he just stepped out of a shower.
"Why yes Kevin, it is hot down here. Why do you ask?"

John Coloccia
07-02-2013, 9:17 PM
Having lived in NH and worked in the Cambridge area for many years, I feel like it's OK when I say it :D

My favorite episode ever is when Bob wanted to use the nail gun with the little .22 charges, and Tommy was all, "Ohhh noooo, Bowb, you gotta have a license for dis ting." I'm pretty sure you don't need a license for that, but the look of relief on Tom's face when Bob bought it was priceless.

Jim Matthews
07-03-2013, 6:26 AM
As a Masshole by necessity (a move brought me here, to live among them and observe their ways) I am always surprised to hear
anything intelligent obscured by the accent. I find the delivery in some of the early New Yankee workshop recordings to be pleasant.

The addition of vowels in words like "assem-bah-ly", for example.

I'm not saying that everyone speaking this way is dense, but that is often the case - 'round heya.

I think the rules of the drinking game should include TOH allusions to scut work and hidden expense as
"sweat equity". That's code for "We ran out of money for excavation - here's your shovel."