PDA

View Full Version : Comments about the PC "low profile" ROS

Bill White
07-01-2013, 9:53 PM
Got a bunch of years on the older U.S. made PC 5" ROS, and have been seeing a lot of stuff on the newer model low profile model.
Anybody have some comments about it? Good or bad is what I am lookin' for.
Bill

Dell Littlefield
07-02-2013, 7:14 AM
I like the quick shutdown of the new model but my hand gets tired of holding it much quicker than the old model. I bought it 4 years ago and am a hobbiest. The dust collector stays on much better on this one also.

Mark Engel
07-02-2013, 7:31 AM
I find it a little more difficult to hold. The top is too larger to comfortably fit my hand around. I end up holding it by the dust collection port on the back.

When hooked up to my shop vac, the dust collection is excellent.

Bill Huber
07-02-2013, 8:03 AM
I agree with all the above, I had one for about a week and sold it and went back to my Dewalt. It just did not fit my hand, it sanded just fine but was just to large for me.

Mike Wilkins
07-02-2013, 9:08 AM
I had one of the older model PC ROS, but sold it after getting the newer model low profile sander. I agree it is more of a handful to use, as it is physically larger than the old model. Works fine for my larger mitts though. The dust collection is great and the quick shut-down feature is wonderful. I have mine hooked up to the PC vac, which has the auto-start feature. Great combo, but I have to clamp the hose to the sanders' outlet to keep it from sliding off. Minor glitch but still a great sander.

john bateman
07-02-2013, 5:49 PM
I have the model 390, and an older Makita ROS. Aside from what the others replied, the PC also seems to leave those pigtail, or squiggle scratch marks to a much greater degree than the Makita does. I use the same Mirka abrasive discs on both machines, and I don't know the reason for this problem.

Jim Neeley
07-02-2013, 6:12 PM
Great info, guys!

"I have to clamp the hose to the sanders' outlet to keep it from sliding off."

Perhaps a wrap of friction tape around the tool outlet would give it a grip?

"..the PC also seems to leave those pigtail, or squiggle scratch marks to a much greater degree than the Makita does... I don't know the reason for this problem"

The normal cause for that is the orbit size (and the rate you move the ROS).

Festool, for example only, makes ROS's with 3/32" and 5/32" orbits. The 5 sands quicker but is more likely to leave pigtails.

I have 2 electrics with 3/32" and a pneumatic ROS with 3/16" orbits. The 3/16" sands much faster but leaves pigtails. I generally use it with coarse paper when there's a lot to remove.

I-R makes a pneumatic ROS that's up to 3/8" orbits. It's designed mainly for rough sanding auto body work but could be used for wood although it'd be even more pigtail-prone.

Pigtail-prone: What a term! :-D

Jim

Jason Roehl
07-02-2013, 10:32 PM
I've found that if I'm getting sanding pigtails, that there is usually something either stuck to the sandpaper (even removed finish), or trapped between the sandpaper and the surface.