PDA

View Full Version : getting new PC, questions on compatibility

Chad Fitzgerald
07-01-2013, 2:36 PM
looking into a new computer.
i have win Xp currently. corel x4.
win 7 or 8????
one better than the other. will x4 work on both, either, neither???
any advice is appreciately.
chad

Eddie Castaneda
07-01-2013, 3:37 PM
Chad I'm a computer geek at heart. Windows 7 would work just fine. From what I've been told by my geek buddies Windows 8 has a lot of bugs their still trying to work out

Chad Fitzgerald
07-01-2013, 3:40 PM
good to know. i just got done talking with corel, they recomended upgrade to x6 graphic suite and window 8 to run with it. I am very open to all advice or thoughts about this. I am absolutely DUMB when it comes to this stuff.
thanks

Frank Trinkle
07-01-2013, 3:55 PM
Though I am now an Apple Fundamentalist, I still follow Windows developments.
The clear picture at the moment is that Windows 7 is the new XP.
Windows 8 has been universally panned and Microsoft is currently mad at work to repair the damage to their new flagship reputation. Users have overwhelmingly been disappointed with MS's take on where the OS should be going.
My suggestion would be Win7 for now and wait for MS to rework 8.

Of course you could always switch to the MOST stable and usable OS in the world...but that requires buying a Mac! :D

Prashun Patel
07-01-2013, 4:17 PM
I'm in the middle of a Windows 7 upgrade at my company. If you have any legacy applications, I advise considering Windows 7 32 bit (not 64 bit). The 32 bit version plays better with some older programs and has fewer networking issues.

Eddie Castaneda
07-01-2013, 4:18 PM
Chad,

I'm Running Corel X6 on Window 7 Professional with no issues as of right now. But in the in end it's what works for you best.

Gary Hair
07-01-2013, 5:24 PM
I'm going to be contrary to most of the other posts - get Windows 8! I have a computer I purchased about a month ago that is an i7, 16gb, 2tb, 3.4ghz HP Envy running Win8 and let me tell you, it's FAST! I have a two-year old 1st gen i7 2.8ghz and the new one is easily 5 times faster to boot, load windows and load Corel X6. If you have a 64 bit os and run 64 bit programs then Win8 will be incredibly fast. The reviews are mostly bad for the interface but not for the OS in the background. The "upgrade" they should have out shortly fixes the main complaints about the look and feel and should give you a familiar looking interface. I'm buying another computer today and will go with Win8 on it as well. The only machines I won't have it on are the one that drive my laser (it has only a 32 bit driver and Win7 works fine), and my cnc machine, it's an XP box that works perfectly.

Gary

Duncan Crawford
07-01-2013, 5:56 PM
Chad,

Just went through this, when my antique Mac laptop running XP under VMware Fusion lost it's graphics chip. Replaced with new Macbook Pro, VMware again, and Win 7 32 bit for Corel X5. Couldn't get Win 7 64 bit to work with my Mini-18 Epilog, 64 bit driver or not. Tried 64 bit win 7 first, with some 106 updates, then de-did the whole thing in 32 bit, more updates, and got back to work.

duncan

Anthony Scira
07-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Love Windows 8 here. Don't know what the fuss is all about. Runs Corel X6 and the 64 bit laser drivers just fine.

Chad Fitzgerald
07-02-2013, 9:01 AM
thanks for all the advice. I have something thinking to do it looks like. Not in a big hurry to do this so thats good but would like to get it done relatively soon.
Just found out my laser does not have a win 8 driver yet( should be out in a month or two), guess i should of checked on that first. so that pushing me to win 7. unless i wait a few months. hmmm. we will see.
thanks again.

Anthony Scira
07-02-2013, 2:22 PM
From my understanding Windows 8 is Windows 7 with a screwy interface that I happen to like. My Epilog 64 bit drivers are for Windows 7 and more specifically for Corel X6. I am assuming if you have Windows 7 compatible drivers you should be good to go with Windows 8.

Bruce Volden
07-03-2013, 6:42 PM
MAN I hate you guys!!! I am still running Win 98 SE--gotta have it for my LMI's.
But I do have XP pro for the Epilog TT.

Bruce

Michael Conley
07-03-2013, 11:01 PM
I am running Windows 8 64-bit with Photoshop, Illustrator, CorelDraw X5, etc. and have had no problems with one exception. Occasionally, I lose my connection to my Epilog Mini and have to restart the laser. I don't know if the problem is related to Windows 8 or not and it does not happen often. Windows 8 takes some getting used to but if you load a classic Start menu, it is not really much different than running Windows 7, and it seems to boot a little faster. I rarely use the new Windows 8 desktop.

Curt Harms
07-04-2013, 8:06 AM
thanks for all the advice. I have something thinking to do it looks like. Not in a big hurry to do this so thats good but would like to get it done relatively soon.
Just found out my laser does not have a win 8 driver yet( should be out in a month or two), guess i should of checked on that first. so that pushing me to win 7. unless i wait a few months. hmmm. we will see.
thanks again.

Unless you're going to wait several months for any bugs in the newly released driver to get squashed, I'd go along with Win7 32 bit. There can be some speed advantages to 64 bit and 32 bit OSs can't address more than 4 GB. of RAM but does you usage come close to using 4 GB. RAM?. I suspect most users having only a couple programs running at a time don't. In fact, 32 bit OSs can address more than 4 GB RAM via PAE that's present but switched off by default in 32 bit Windows.

Chad Fitzgerald
07-04-2013, 9:36 AM
curt, thats was kindof what i was thinking. win7, dont really want to deal with a new driver that hasnt been tested.
32 vs 64 bit. sounds like this is a matter of speed(im guessing). i have no idea the difference, pros and cons, etc.
i use the internet, email, corel x4, and kcdw(kitchen design program). occasionally something else but not usually. rarely are corel and kcdw up at the same time. So 4 GB ram, havent a clue. dont even know what it means. i know how to use the programs, dont know anything about what make them run.
chad

Frank Trinkle
07-04-2013, 9:57 AM
So 4 GB ram, havent a clue. dont even know what it means. i know how to use the programs, dont know anything about what make them run.
chad

Trust me... it's all smoke and mirrors! ;)

On a more serious note. 4GB RAM should be plenty if you aren't multitasking (Running multiple programs at the same time). More RAM "can" speed up your processes, but only if the software you are using can take advantage of it. I wouldn't sweat the need for additional RAM. It wasn't long ago that 1 GB of RAM was considered a MONSTER system! What more RAM has really caused is lazy programming, meaning that programmers don't spend as much time worrying about keeping their programs very tight and efficient.

I still stick by my recommendation that you start with WIN 7 until MS does their thing with 8 that is in the works. You would just have to spend hours later doing a full upgrade for a service release.

Cheers

Curt Harms
07-05-2013, 7:15 AM
I think like Frank says, you'd be fine with 4 GB. unless you have more than 1 memory hog program running at the same time. It doesn't sound like you do. The reason more RAM speeds up systems is when a system runs out of space in RAM, it starts to move some things from RAM to a page file/swap file/swap partition/whatever on the hard drive. That's a lot slower than keeping everything in RAM. A 64 bit O.S. might be a little faster depending on the programs but if hardware drivers are flaky, is the speed worth the hardware grief?

Jesse Anderson
07-05-2013, 12:24 PM
I do not like windows 8... I think they over did the whole User Friendly and Marketing scheme.. First time i used windows 8 i almost wanted to return the computer and get a new one. Windows 7 is fine.... I will forever be fan of the old Desktop layout, With Start , Task Bar, Date/time, Desktop, Trash Bin, And the style they have gone with for decades... I was actually very partial to windows 95... I do not miss the operating system. I just remember wanting it over windows 98... The olds school days for me..

Curt Harms
07-06-2013, 7:26 AM
I do not like windows 8... I think they over did the whole User Friendly and Marketing scheme.. First time i used windows 8 i almost wanted to return the computer and get a new one. Windows 7 is fine.... I will forever be fan of the old Desktop layout, With Start , Task Bar, Date/time, Desktop, Trash Bin, And the style they have gone with for decades... I was actually very partial to windows 95... I do not miss the operating system. I just remember wanting it over windows 98... The olds school days for me..

You're not alone, Jesse. If I had to tolerate Windows 8, my first download would probably be this:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

(http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/)265910

There are other such as start8 as well. I haven't used this because I don't have Windows 8 but I think this works to 'fix' elements of the Windows 7 user interface that are irritating as well.

mike klein
07-14-2013, 4:17 PM
Of course you could always switch to the MOST stable and usable OS in the world...but that requires buying a Mac! :D

You got that right Frank.
I swithced over to a Mac Mini with OS 10.8 about 7 months ago and have had NO problems, it just keep running and running. I just wish Epilog would make Mac drivers and
then I could completely be free of Windows.